Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kansas Homebrewers - Proposed Law Change  (Read 1852 times)

Offline kcbeersnob

• 1st Kit
Kansas Homebrewers - Proposed Law Change
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:52:29 pm »
Just this week in KS, new legislation is being proposed to amend the law to allow consumption by non-family members and at other locations besides the maker's home--including in competitions.  I urge KS residents to contact their legislative representatives to encourage them to support the measure.

House bill:
http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/hb2223/

Senate bill:
http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/sb112/

IMO, here's the best part:

Homemade fermented beverages" means beer or wine produced by a person who is 21 years of age or older, through such person's own efforts and in accordance with K.S.A. 41-104, and amendments thereto, at a place of residence or at another location with permission from the property owner, and not for a commercial purpose, but for consumption by that person or such person's family or guests, or for use at an exhibition, demonstration, judging, tasting, class or sampling, or as part of a contest or competition.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Kansas Homebrewers - Proposed Law Change
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:34:21 am »
I'll bump this one up. It's really important to contact your representatives, KS residents! Missouri is going through the same process right now, but it is backed by Dan Kopman (co-founder of Schlafly) and a few AB lawyers, so us Missourians stand a better chance of it getting out of committee and going to vote.

Let your politicians know that it's important to you!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:30:22 pm »
I've been working with a coalition of Kansas homebrew club representatives on drafting that bill.  We just sent out an action alert to the Kansas AHA members.  Here's the link: http://bit.ly/11LWfRA
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:58:23 pm »
Sounds like Kansas is getting its act together.  Any hope with Illinois?  So far, it is just a "look the other way" approach for competitions and banning homebrew at any "exhibition" that involves an admission price.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:40:42 am »
Sounds like Kansas is getting its act together.  Any hope with Illinois?  So far, it is just a "look the other way" approach for competitions and banning homebrew at any "exhibition" that involves an admission price.

I know that Bills Tubbs of the Prairie Schooners in Springfield, IL (president of my old club) and the Homebrewers Of Peoria are in contact with the lawmakers there, but it's definitely a slow go. The Prairie Schooners have a good facebook group where you can get in contact with them. https://www.facebook.com/groups/prairie.schooners/
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:34:16 am »

There was actually a bill filed at the end of last year's session, but getting it passed was a long shot and it didn't happen.  An improved version of that bill is prepared, but hasn't yet been filed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:57:22 am by dbeechum »
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado