Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Paint Strainer  (Read 5144 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Paint Strainer
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 08:45:06 pm »
I love this idea! But how much flavor/aroma do you get with cooled wort running through it? Because don't you run hot wort through a traditional hopback? I mean, dry hopping happens in cooled wort...just curious. I am anxious to hear about this.

I wish I had an answer for you on that, but the beers I've done this for already had a boatload of hops. This was really just an idea I had when I was thinking about how I can stuff as much hops as possible into a brew. One day I'll have to try an experiment with this just to see exactly what I am getting from it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 08:48:31 pm »

I wish I had an answer for you on that, but the beers I've done this for already had a boatload of hops. This was really just an idea I had when I was thinking about how I can stuff as much hops as possible into a brew. One day I'll have to try an experiment with this just to see exactly what I am getting from it.
[/quote]

Regardless, I like the idea. I would be interested in results in the experiment.
Frank

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 06:42:20 am »
Don't worry about straining unless you're a commercial brewer. The trub will settle out and you can leave it behind in the fermentor. At least that's what I do.

I hear you but I repitch quite a bit and try to keep my yeast as trub free as possible.

Me too Paul.  I use a large fine mesh bucket bag.  It catches most everything.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/nylon-straining-bag-18-3-4-x-19-fine-mesh.html

Dave

EDIT:  Forgot to add that I love using paint strainer bags as hop bags in the boil, clipped to the top of the kettle.  Unclip, add more hops, reclip.  Works great!

I love the idea of the stocking.  Going to have to try that!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:44:16 am by davidgzach »
Dave Zach