General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

The Mad Fermentationist's Top 10 Myths

<< < (25/27) > >>

majorvices:

--- Quote from: weithman5 on February 09, 2013, 08:32:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: majorvices on February 09, 2013, 04:44:03 PM ---Too bad guys. I already called FTW!

--- End quote ---
Crap :(

--- End quote ---

Lol. :)

narvin:

--- Quote from: majorvices on February 10, 2013, 08:15:44 AM ---
--- Quote from: narvin on February 09, 2013, 05:41:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: majorvices on February 08, 2013, 08:17:05 PM ---Dinner doesn't take me 8!hours of constant monitoring followed by several week of babysitting. Items at the grocery store are also competitively priced and not marked up at a hobby shop scale.

In fact, I can make dinner at home in less than the amount of time it takes me to drive to a restaurant , get seated, and drive home!

--- End quote ---

Sorry, don't buy it.  Don't you have delivery down in the bayou?  That takes no time at all.

8 hours is for 10 gallons, not one dinner.  Beer ingredients don't go bad in a week, either.  On the other hand, going to the grocery store or farmers market bi-weekly to keep fresh food around takes time.  And the prices for bulk grain and hops are comparable to Costco food prices.

--- End quote ---

I don't even have cell phone service or cable let alone delivery. Dont live in the bayou, live on the Cumberland plateau.

I sure hope you are coming to NHC this year. We need to arm wrestle!

--- End quote ---

I'll be there. 
I call FTW now!

majorvices:
Well, guess I need to start doing some push ups! :)

bluesman:

--- Quote from: majorvices on February 10, 2013, 10:34:00 AM ---Well, guess I need to start doing some push ups! :)

--- End quote ---

...and don't forget the YH when you come up for NHC. I'll ref the arm wrestling match for a YH.  ;)

brewsumore:
I added a couple thoughts as a comment to Michael's article:

Good points Michael!  I thought of a few other myths, or at least untenable assumptions:

Brewhouse efficiency via fly sparging cannot be matched via batch sparging. (with good mash pH management and other BMPs, batch sparging can yield excellent efficiency)

No break material should be carried over from kettle to fermenter. (a little break material actually helps the fermentation)

pH strips are not accurate enough for beer making. (some are accurate enough, i.e. plastic ones, especially ColorpHast +.3 to test pH of the mash, sparge, pre-boil, etc.)

High alpha hops are not good candidates for dry hopping. (nonsense, as seen with amarillo, columbus, citra, etc.)

The best beers utilize water adjustment profiles based on famous brewing city water profiles. (not true, since those profiles were often manipulated by the breweries there and so should not always be seen as the starting point for building your water profile)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version