General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

The Mad Fermentationist's Top 10 Myths

<< < (26/27) > >>

dogugotw:
I was on a aircraft carrier a couple of years back (fun, not working) and noticed that they had squeeze bottles of mayo that never left the mess tables.  The bottles also had on 'refrigerate after opening' warning.
I contacted the manufacturer and it turns out that mayo, clean mayo, won't spoil; the pH is too low.  You get into problems if you add anything to the mayo, then the pH goes up and things will grow.

The 'refrigerate after opening' message really has to do with the taste and texture of the product rather than spoilage.

Who knew?

--- Quote from: euge on February 09, 2013, 04:59:56 PM ---I still find myself buying mayonnaise. My mustard doesn't go bad but am scared to make and keep mayonnaise for fear of it going off. But, there doesn't seem to be any preservatives in my Duke's mayo and it keeps as good as my mustard.

--- End quote ---

klickitat jim:
I add hotdogs to my beer but no mayo or mustard. Call me a minimalist. ..

Biggest myth discovered so far is that you can "save" anything by spending money on a hobby. They don't deposit that money into your bank and the time doesn't get added to your lifespan.  However,  it's a proven fact that I think draft tastes better than bottles

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

kgs:

--- Quote from: james on February 06, 2013, 05:17:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: a10t2 on February 06, 2013, 04:49:03 PM ---How about the big one? Home brewing saves money.

--- End quote ---

This needs moderated before our wives/girlfriends see it!  :)

--- End quote ---

As a lady homebrewer, I can attest homebrewing saves money. Not on making beer... but I am not even that interested in clothing and somehow a trip to the mall results in several blouses for work, new socks, etc. The time invested in researching recipes, shopping for ingredients, brewing, and bottling coopts shopping time, and means that I wear my work duds until I am totally sick of them.  So there you go!

euge:
I'm far down the slope of amortization for my equipment purchases. However, I'm not that disciplined of a brewer to keep up a schedule- which is where the savings come in IMO.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: dogugotw on March 23, 2013, 05:47:33 PM ---I was on a aircraft carrier a couple of years back (fun, not working) and noticed that they had squeeze bottles of mayo that never left the mess tables.  The bottles also had on 'refrigerate after opening' warning.
I contacted the manufacturer and it turns out that mayo, clean mayo, won't spoil; the pH is too low.  You get into problems if you add anything to the mayo, then the pH goes up and things will grow.

The 'refrigerate after opening' message really has to do with the taste and texture of the product rather than spoilage.

Who knew?

--- Quote from: euge on February 09, 2013, 04:59:56 PM ---I still find myself buying mayonnaise. My mustard doesn't go bad but am scared to make and keep mayonnaise for fear of it going off. But, there doesn't seem to be any preservatives in my Duke's mayo and it keeps as good as my mustard.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
A few years back Alton Brown made mayo on Good Eats. He said after blending that it was important to let it sit at room temp for several hours. Reason? -- The low pH will kill any bacterial infections, but those metabolic pathways are slowed at low temp, so a low temperature will actually preserve the bacteria from being killed by the low pH.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version