General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

The Mad Fermentationist's Top 10 Myths

<< < (2/27) > >>

kylekohlmorgen:
Another great article from Mike. This guy has been a huge inspiration and technical reference for me. Can't wait for his book!

Also don't agree with the kegging vs. bottling thing. I think kegs are pretty crucial to professional-tasting homebrew.

barliman:
I must confess that I had been duped about the CaraMunich and CaraVienna.  Seems like it's time for an experiment to taste the difference between CaraMunich and Caramalt.

J

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: majorvices on February 06, 2013, 08:58:31 AM ---Haven't read the post yet but if anyone thinks you don't save time kegging over bottling they're definitely "mad". Takes 10-15 minutes to strip apart a corny and another 10-15 minutes to rack. And I would argue it isn't necessary to strip apart a corny every time. I also think homebrewed draft beer often tastes better than homebrew bottled beer due to oxidation in bottled beer.

--- End quote ---
FWIW - there is also filling CO2 tanks, cleaning draft lines, maybe carbonating if you do a shake method ... But for me the biggest time-suck of bottling is delabelling bottles. If I were buying nice new bottles it would be faster, but more expensive. Then again, my kegs/kegorator cost as much as dozens of cases of bottles. 

denny:
These are 2 that I always bring up...

"Craft brewers do (insert technique) or use (insert equipment) so homebrewers should aspire to as well"

"Boiling wort for a long time caramelizes it"

majorvices:

--- Quote from: denny on February 06, 2013, 09:28:25 AM ---These are 2 that I always bring up...

"Craft brewers do (insert technique) or use (insert equipment) so homebrewers should aspire to as well"

"Boiling wort for a long time caramelizes it"

--- End quote ---

But, OTOH, all probrewers should have a 600+ gallon blue cooler and batch sparge. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version