Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Mad Fermentationist's Top 10 Myths  (Read 30888 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: The Mad Fermentationist's Top 10 Myths
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2013, 11:23:34 pm »
I'm convinced you have too much free time.
Maybe.  I need more sleep :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2013, 11:25:05 pm »
i can boil water in a paper cup on a camp fire though 8)
Sure, if you put it in the right spot.  But not if you don't. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2013, 08:16:19 am »
But I feel like if you aren't counting your time you aren't really being honest to yourself. Saturday and Sunday mornings are hard to put a monetary value on.

I woudn't factor my time into the cost of homebrewing. Sure I may be able to make money during the time I am homebrewing, but I LIKE to homebrew. I certainly wouldn't pay someone to come over to my house and set up the brew system, brew a batch and the get it in the fermenters for me. Come check on it daily and keg it when it is ready. Those are things I enjoy doing on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
The Mad Fermentationist's Top 10 Myths
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2013, 08:21:01 am »
But I feel like if you aren't counting your time you aren't really being honest to yourself. Saturday and Sunday mornings are hard to put a monetary value on.

I woudn't factor my time into the cost of homebrewing. Sure I may be able to make money during the time I am homebrewing, but I LIKE to homebrew. I certainly wouldn't pay someone to come over to my house and set up the brew system, brew a batch and the get it in the fermenters for me. Come check on it daily and keg it when it is ready. Those are things I enjoy doing on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

But, it's the time you put into it that makes it so special! (OK, we are back here again. I quit. Y'all know and any major economist worth his salt would agree with me. ;)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2013, 08:24:10 am »

But, it's the time you put into it that makes it so special! (OK, we are back here again. I quit. Y'all know and any major economist worth his salt would agree with me. ;)

Years ago a deer hunter I worked with said if you added it all up, the venison was about $50 a pound at the cheapest. Yeah, I agree that my homebrew is not cheap.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2013, 08:37:57 am »
It's all in your interpretation. I think that the  "Time= $$"  argument, for me, is on things I HAVE to do (ie., clean gutters, mow, car repairs,etc.).  Going to a movie, concert, sporting event, or most importantly, brewing, are things I LOVE to do, and are escapes from the Monday - Friday grind, when I am concerned with having to bring home money. You have to do SOMETHING on the weekends. 
Jon H.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2013, 09:23:46 am »
so to make my homebrew cheaper, i should quit my job and be unemployed.  then my time is worth less....
Don AHA member

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2013, 09:26:11 am »
so to make my homebrew cheaper, i should quit my job and be unemployed.  then my time is worth less....

Bingo!
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2013, 11:49:49 am »
I just love to argue about stupid stuff. Especially when I'm right.:P

narvin

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2013, 02:43:21 pm »
If you like cheap beer, it's not cheaper  :D

But, if you have a salaried job with no overtime, enjoy brewing, and like $20 bottles of Belgian beer, you bet your sweet ass it's cheaper.  As long as you disregard equipment costs, which would totally go to some other hobby anyway if you had more time (artisinal mustard?).

I just bottled about $1000 worth of Gueze and Kriek according to market prices.  Considering how cheap pils malt, raw wheat berries, and old hops are, that paid for my pump/chiller/fermentation freezer!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:45:27 pm by narvin »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2013, 03:11:18 pm »

But, if you have a salaried job with no overtime, enjoy brewing, and like $20 bottles of Belgian beer, you bet your sweet ass it's cheaper.  As long as you disregard equipment costs, which would totally go to some other hobby anyway if you had more time (artisinal mustard?).

I just bottled about $1000 worth of Gueze and Kriek according to market prices.  Considering how cheap pils malt, raw wheat berries, and old hops are, that paid for my pump/chiller/fermentation freezer!

I agree with you completely.  You picked a bad example though.  8^) 

I make my own mustard.  All you need is ingredients, something to store it in (like a Tupperware bowl) and a blender.  Probably my least costly hobby.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2013, 03:29:31 pm »

I make my own mustard.  All you need is ingredients, something to store it in (like a Tupperware bowl) and a blender.  Probably my least costly hobby.

Paul

The most expensive thing that goes into my mustard is my homebrew.
Kyle M.

narvin

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2013, 04:10:46 pm »

Paul

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-on-internet-almost-falls-into-world-of-diy-mus,17013/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2013, 04:48:34 pm »
Still never going to get me to look at the amount of time you put into a project as a commodity. My time is precious to me, especially my free time. In that case, my homebrew has been some of the most expensive beer in the world! Y'all with cheaper time need to come over and wash my car and pressure wash my house this weekend.

narvin

« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2013, 05:49:59 pm »
Still never going to get me to look at the amount of time you put into a project as a commodity. My time is precious to me, especially my free time. In that case, my homebrew has been some of the most expensive beer in the world! Y'all with cheaper time need to come over and wash my car and pressure wash my house this weekend.

Never? I'm not going to give up that easily!

Obviously I wouldn't suggest brewing beer ONLY because it's cheaper, but it could be considered a perk.  If I ended up with natty lite, I wouldn't be wasting my time on it, but often DIY has an element of quality in it as well.  Savings aren't huge, but they exist... whether or not I give away enough beer to negate them is irrelevant  :)

Would you say cooking dinner at home is more expensive than getting take out because it takes you a couple hours?  Time is precious and you have to prioritize, but I don't buy that argument.