Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anybody familiar with BRY-97 by lallemand?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Anybody familiar with BRY-97 by lallemand?
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:07:09 am »
I was at the home brew store in Lawrence KS. They had all Lallemand yeasts for $3 a package. I saw some of this. The owner said it competes with Fermentus S 05. I haven't been having very good luck with O5 lately so I picked up a few packages of this stuff. I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience with it.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline jeremy0209

• Cellarman
    • Brewing with Jeremy
Re: Anybody familiar with BRY-97 by lallemand?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:50:35 am »
I just used it in an American Brown this weekend.  I rehydrated it just as I do all dry yeast and it took about 36 hours for it to take off, but man, did it take off!!!  Let's just say I'm glad I used a blowoff tube.  It was very active at 64F.  From everything I've read, that's pretty much standard protocol for that yeast.  I won't know anything about flavor profile until I take a gravity reading in a few days, but it's my understanding that it's fairly clean.

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:58:08 am »
The lag time significantly reduces upon repitch. I've used the yeast a few batches at my tiny nano brewery. When the yeast is still in suspension, there are lots of bready/doughy characteristics. It drops out about the same as US-05 in my estimation. Not sure that this yeast is as sensitive to mash temperature as it is specialty grain percentage, but that might just be specific to my setup.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:35:58 am »
I just finished a keg of pale ale brewed with this yeast. Was ok- and was noticeably different than S-05.Jury is still out on this yeast.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:26:02 pm »
I just used this in an IPA and can attest to the lag time. Was starting to get worried but it took off. I just kegged it and since I haven't used US-05 in awhile, I can't say I detect much difference yet. It seems to be a decent American Ale yeast but is more expensive than US-05.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 02:52:32 pm »
I was very happy with this yeast in a smash APA.  I have an IPA that will be bottled this weekend that also used this yeast.

It's a clean american dry yeast.  To my taste, it's fairly close to Pacman yeast. 

J
Primary: Wingfoot v.3.0 (Waimea/Pacifica), Chinook IPA
Bottled/Kegged: Best Bitter
On Deck: BVIP, Swiss Czechtoberfest