General Category > All Grain Brewing

2 beers, 2 yeasts, same nasty sulfur smell and taste

<< < (8/8)

mabrungard:

--- Quote from: mpietropaoli on May 01, 2013, 06:57:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: majorvices on April 29, 2013, 06:12:40 PM ---One great trick to remove sulfur from beer is to run the beer through a line of copper. You can even take a copper pipe and stir the carboy/bucket/keg.

--- End quote ---

I heard on BrewStrong that if added post-fermentation, copper can be a catalyst in oxidation reactions.

--- End quote ---

I think you are better off with having the copper contact at a pre-fermentation stage.  That way, the yeast will consume all the dissolved copper and keep it out of your finished beer.  The does its work with the sulfur almost immediately, so it will have done its work before the yeast gobble it up. 

duboman:
I've used both those strains and have not had any issues with sulfur. I make proper sized starters of healthy yeast, ferment in buckets and use  a blow off tube . The Hefe yeast I start at 60 and allow to rise to 65 and the other I start at 65 and allow to rise to 70.

My opinion is stressed yeast and under pitching producing excessive sulfur notes which is a somewhat inherent byproduct of these strains.

HoosierBrew:

--- Quote from: duboman on May 08, 2013, 10:56:29 AM ---I've used both those strains and have not had any issues with sulfur. I make proper sized starters of healthy yeast, ferment in buckets and use  a blow off tube . The Hefe yeast I start at 60 and allow to rise to 65 and the other I start at 65 and allow to rise to 70.

My opinion is stressed yeast and under pitching producing excessive sulfur notes which is a somewhat inherent byproduct of these strains.

--- End quote ---
+1.   I've used both strains multiple times and not had the sulfur carry over to keg.

hulkavitch:
I pitched an appropriate starter for the wit beer. The bavarian hefe I did not in hopes that stressing the yeast would produce more banana and clove flavors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version