General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Fermentation time for barley wine

(1/2) > >>

imperialstout:
Thinking of brewing a barley wine. Two questions are are how long a fermentation time required and is a pound of corn sugar a common ingredient? Most recipes figure on a 2 to 4 month fermentation schedule and a pound of corn sugar. Would be interested in the barley wine recipe you use.

a10t2:
General rule of thumb for a properly-pitched ale is 2°P of attenuation per day. So roughly 7-12 days for a barley wine. Definitely allow for extra time though.

A little sugar is a common addition to increase attenuation. If you want you can add it in the fermenter to reduce the osmotic pressure on the yeast at pitching.

morticaixavier:
I generally allow at least 4 weeks for a BW. but I also am not in a rush to get it done as it will still have to condition and age a bit.

I keep it simple with 100% pale or munich grist. I will sometimes add some sugar, 1 lb sounds good. I did a wheat wine with coconut sugar that came out nice. that was 2 lb for 21 liters and I aged it in a rum barrel so it's got a lot going on.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on February 07, 2013, 09:18:13 AM ---I keep it simple with 100% pale or munich grist. I will sometimes add some sugar, 1 lb sounds good. I did a wheat wine with coconut sugar that came out nice. that was 2 lb for 21 liters and I aged it in a rum barrel so it's got a lot going on.

--- End quote ---
That sounds good

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on February 07, 2013, 01:08:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: morticaixavier on February 07, 2013, 09:18:13 AM ---I keep it simple with 100% pale or munich grist. I will sometimes add some sugar, 1 lb sounds good. I did a wheat wine with coconut sugar that came out nice. that was 2 lb for 21 liters and I aged it in a rum barrel so it's got a lot going on.

--- End quote ---
That sounds good

--- End quote ---

It's getting there for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version