General Category > All Grain Brewing

Looking for a good AG recipe book

<< < (8/8)

BrewQwest:

--- Quote from: hubie on February 11, 2013, 11:25:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: imperialstout on February 09, 2013, 04:25:40 PM ---I borrowed 80 Classic Brews and discovered most, if not all recipes are written for extract.
--- End quote ---

If you're talking about Brewing Classic Styles, the evolution of the book is that Palmer wanted to write a book for extract brewers and Zainasheff said he could give him a bunch of recipes, which is why the book is split into the (Zainasheff) recipe part and the (Palmer) technical part.  The recipes are all-grain recipes converted to extract versions and every recipe is given with the all-grain part at the end.  It really is an all-grain book because the all-grain recipes are given.  You have to make sure you take the reviews with a grain of salt.  Because of the way recipes convert between the two, I remember an Amazon reviewer was complaining that the recipes called for odd amounts of extract, such as needing 2.7 pounds of LME and he was complaining that he could only get LME in set amounts like cans of 3.3 pounds.  The reviewer was complaining that it is unreasonable for him to measure out less than 3.3 pounds (which is funny because when I make bread, I don't ding my recipe book because my recipe isn't broken down into using only 5 lb sacks of flour).  I'd have to see what some of the negative complaints you saw, but if we're talking about the same book then I would say the bad review missed the mark entirely.

--- End quote ---

Yup!!! BCS rocks!!! the very first recipe I made from this book tasted so good I entered it into competition and took a silver medal...what more can you ask for from a recipe book?? cheers!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version