Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Beer for S-23?  (Read 3415 times)

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
Best Beer for S-23?
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:05:16 pm »
I've got a pack of S-23 yeast and am not sure what to do with it. I was hoping to do a pilsner, but from what I've read, this is an estery lager yeast. Any suggestions on styles I should consider for this?
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Best Beer for S-23?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:35:33 pm »
IMO, the best thing to do with it is throw it away and get a better yeast.  I made the 3 worst beers I've ever made using that yeast
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Best Beer for S-23?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:01:11 pm »
You won't get a lot of love from Denny on this yeast, but I like it ok.  I think the best lagers I made with it were American 2 Row style lagers with flaked corn, but fermented in the 45-47F range and leave it on the yeast for a month.  It can get fruity if fermented warm, IIRC.  You got it, so you might as well use it.

Good luck and enjoy the brew.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Best Beer for S-23?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:16:01 pm »
You won't get a lot of love from Denny on this yeast, but I like it ok.  I think the best lagers I made with it were American 2 Row style lagers with flaked corn, but fermented in the 45-47F range and leave it on the yeast for a month.  It can get fruity if fermented warm, IIRC.  You got it, so you might as well use it.

Good luck and enjoy the brew.

I fermented in the 45-50 range and it was still disgustingly fruity.  I know there are people who have had success with it, but there are a lot who had the same experience I did.  Wish I could figure out why.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:25:34 pm »
I remember it turned out badly for you, but it may be just a palate difference - I know I like your recipes, but maybe my palate isn't as sensitive to the fruity side of things?  I know it isn't as refined as some guys I know who can pick out subtleties.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Best Beer for S-23?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:42:36 pm »
I remember it turned out badly for you, but it may be just a palate difference - I know I like your recipes, but maybe my palate isn't as sensitive to the fruity side of things?  I know it isn't as refined as some guys I know who can pick out subtleties.

Mine was so weird I sent some to John Palmer who said it tasted like Bartles and Jaymes Passion Fruit Wine Cooler!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: Best Beer for S-23?
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:22:48 pm »

Mine was so weird I sent some to John Palmer who said it tasted like Bartles and Jaymes Passion Fruit Wine Cooler!

In other words, an APA brewed with Citra and Galaxy may be your best bet...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 05:50:06 am »
There is an American lager by Capital Brewing outside of Madison Wisconsin that I was trying to clone - called Supper Club; I got pretty close with using S-23.  And folks liked it a lot.  It is pretty light and spritzy, but refreshing and has a decent malt backbone. I brewed several batches to try to hone in on it and got pretty close.  Maybe the yeast was the difference, maybe not.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:27:20 am »
If you don't want to throw it away, use it in the boil as a yeast nutrient.
Mark Gres

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 12:54:50 pm »
Yeesh...this yeast sounds Shi-teee. I'll find something to do with it. I like the APA idea.
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 03:30:24 pm »
I made a Dortmunder Export with it that took 1st place in light lagers at a competition last fall. I am currently fermenting an Irish Red Lager with it.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Best Beer for S-23?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 07:41:12 am »

I'm still surprised John would admit to having tried Bartles and Jaymes Passion Fruit Wine Cooler.