General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Best Beer for S-23?

(1/3) > >>

cfleisher:
I've got a pack of S-23 yeast and am not sure what to do with it. I was hoping to do a pilsner, but from what I've read, this is an estery lager yeast. Any suggestions on styles I should consider for this?

denny:
IMO, the best thing to do with it is throw it away and get a better yeast.  I made the 3 worst beers I've ever made using that yeast

ynotbrusum:
You won't get a lot of love from Denny on this yeast, but I like it ok.  I think the best lagers I made with it were American 2 Row style lagers with flaked corn, but fermented in the 45-47F range and leave it on the yeast for a month.  It can get fruity if fermented warm, IIRC.  You got it, so you might as well use it.

Good luck and enjoy the brew.

denny:

--- Quote from: ynotbrusum on February 07, 2013, 07:01:11 PM ---You won't get a lot of love from Denny on this yeast, but I like it ok.  I think the best lagers I made with it were American 2 Row style lagers with flaked corn, but fermented in the 45-47F range and leave it on the yeast for a month.  It can get fruity if fermented warm, IIRC.  You got it, so you might as well use it.

Good luck and enjoy the brew.

--- End quote ---

I fermented in the 45-50 range and it was still disgustingly fruity.  I know there are people who have had success with it, but there are a lot who had the same experience I did.  Wish I could figure out why.

ynotbrusum:
I remember it turned out badly for you, but it may be just a palate difference - I know I like your recipes, but maybe my palate isn't as sensitive to the fruity side of things?  I know it isn't as refined as some guys I know who can pick out subtleties.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version