General Category > All Grain Brewing

100% munich

(1/2) > >>

goschman:
Tasting my first 100% munich APA. I had no idea that it would turn out this malty. The malty aroma completely masks the hop aroma, dry hop additions and the hop bitterness is an afterthought. If I try this again, I will definitely need to push the IBU:OG way up to overcome the maltiness. Tastes like a slightly bitter german beer of some type...

I think my next one grain attempt will be 100% Vienna. I brewed this beer in attempt to showcase Zythos and get a feel for that hop blend but I can kiss that idea goodbye. The beer still needs quite a bit of bottle conditioning but I can't imagine it will completely change from what it is now. Oh well, you live and you learn. I can use this moving forward...

garc_mall:
Never tried all Munich in an APA, but my APA recipe now is usually 80% 2 row, 20% Munich, with a bit of wheat for head retention (honestly, its pretty much superstition). I like how the maltiness works at that level, without the sweetness provided by crystal. 

ajk:

--- Quote from: goschman on February 08, 2013, 03:38:13 PM ---Tasting my first 100% munich APA.

--- End quote ---

What brand/color of Münich?

goschman:

--- Quote from: ajk on February 09, 2013, 07:33:51 AM ---
--- Quote from: goschman on February 08, 2013, 03:38:13 PM ---Tasting my first 100% munich APA.

--- End quote ---

What brand/color of Münich?

--- End quote ---

Weyermann Munich I

erockrph:
I brewed a hoppy Ofest this fall, and I think it was right at (or just over) the upper limit of how malty you can push a beer before it overtakes the hops. It used 40% Munich/8% Vienna/4% Caramunich with the rest being Pils. The aroma was mainly hops with some maltiness, and the flavor was more balanced but definitely leaning toward the malt side.

It was a great beer, and I'll definitely brew it again, but I'm rolling the Munich back for most of my hoppy lagers now. Next week's brew will be 5 lb Floor-malted BoPils with 2 lb (28%) Munich (3 gal batch).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version