Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pizza Fatta en Casa  (Read 53716 times)

Offline Delo

• Brewer
Re: Pizza Fatta en Casa
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2012, 09:25:43 am »
Papa Rosie's Pizza Dough

1 cup tepid water
1/4 cup olive oil (optional, gives dough a smooth texture)
3 cups King Arthur (tm) all purpose unbleached flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp dry yeast (I get Red Star (tm) in bulk, so that's what I use)

Wet first, then dry.  I use a dough hook to mix in my Kitchen Aid (tm)
Let sit for as long as you can (overnight is best, but this dough is good fresh as well)
Punch down and roll out.
Makes two 16" or three 12" thin crusts.

This is pretty much what my recipe has been, although I've been substituting wheat flour for at least 50% recently. Here are pics of a margherita pie and a veggie pie with wheat crust.

I've also been using Naan from Costco to make quick mini pizzas and they come out great....now I need a good recipe for naan.
Mark

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:39 am »
Papa Rosie's Pizza Dough

1 cup tepid water
1/4 cup olive oil (optional, gives dough a smooth texture)
3 cups King Arthur (tm) all purpose unbleached flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp dry yeast (I get Red Star (tm) in bulk, so that's what I use)

Wet first, then dry.  I use a dough hook to mix in my Kitchen Aid (tm)
Let sit for as long as you can (overnight is best, but this dough is good fresh as well)
Punch down and roll out.
Makes two 16" or three 12" thin crusts.

This is pretty much what my recipe has been, although I've been substituting wheat flour for at least 50% recently. Here are pics of a margherita pie and a veggie pie with wheat crust.

I've also been using Naan from Costco to make quick mini pizzas and they come out great....now I need a good recipe for naan.

Here you go...a link to a silly video and the recipe I use for Naan bread. I put up the blog to share some recipes with my sisters, but found I'd rather be brewing or outside or in the kitchen than making blog entries.

http://berthaskitchen.blogspot.com/
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2012, 10:26:51 am »
Looks tasty!

One thing to remember you guys is that the typical round pie except for chicago-style will cook better if you don't place toppings in the center. So you don't want to heap them into a mound but have an even distribution of toppings and cheese and leave less in the middle. The heat will move quicker to the center and it will bake evenly, and all the cheese and toppings will be perfectly cooked. Furthermore, you'll be less likely to end up with the entire top layer avalanching off the slice and into your lap or frying your chin. And the middle of a round pie is usually destroyed by the cutting process anyway so it makes sense not to have a bunch of precious toppings there. ;D

I have over 10 years experience in the pizza biz and wouldn't steer ya wrong on this. A misspent youth has to be worth something. 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2012, 11:04:47 am »
Here you go...a link to a silly video and the recipe I use for Naan bread. I put up the blog to share some recipes with my sisters, but found I'd rather be brewing or outside or in the kitchen than making blog entries.

http://berthaskitchen.blogspot.com/
Thanks for sharing the link.  I will definitely try the recipe out. I can already feel myself getting fatter.

Euge - thanks for the toppings tips. I tend to just heap them on.
Mark

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2012, 11:16:45 am »
Here are some of the pies I made last night...

Sausage with mozz, asiago, and parmesan

BBQ sauce, bacon, and smoked gouda

Pepperoni and sausage
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #185 on: November 24, 2012, 06:25:57 am »
Looks great Matt! Love Asiago on pizza.  Bacon and smoked Gouda sounds pretty good too!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #186 on: November 24, 2012, 08:49:19 am »
Those look like some really well made pies. The dough was proofed well as is evidenced in the way th pizza browned around the edges. Looks professional!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2012, 11:00:44 am »
Damn Matt, why do you bother with all of that law bulls***? Clearly you have missed your calling.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Pizza Fatta en Casa
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2012, 05:41:34 pm »
Matt...excellent looking pies my friend!
Ron Price

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2012, 06:38:40 pm »
Damn Matt, why do you bother with all of that law bulls***? Clearly you have missed your calling.

No freaking kidding, Capp!  Hey, there's still plenty of life to live.  Just need to take care of my student loans.   >:(
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tony

• Cellarman
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2013, 11:42:23 am »
Yum. Pizza
One I made last week. I have been using parchment paper to form my pies on so it slides off the peel
without having to use cornmeal or flour.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:44:08 am by tony »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2013, 11:51:39 am »
I switched from cornmeal to semolina.  Makes things slide as easily as cornmeal without the "crunchiness" you get from cornmeal.  A plus is that then you have semolina around for making pasta.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2013, 07:41:14 pm »
Yum!

I use regular old flour having mastered the jiggle required to break the pie loose from the peel. However, parchment paper can produce a mighty fine pizza. It just bugs me that it's only rated to 420*... What does that mean?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2013, 09:35:57 pm »
Is it only rated to 420F?  I use it for bread sometimes, and it starts in a 500 degree oven.  It turns brown and crisps up, that's probably the problem.  Oops.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tony

• Cellarman
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2013, 02:03:33 pm »
I used to use flour under the pie and keep shaking the peel until I had made the pie and it was in the oven.
I found that when using a wet dough like I like to use, it made the bottom of the pie too floury and dry.

Using the parchment paper eliminates that and with the OO in the dough makes the crust brown nice and still be flexable. The paper will turn very brown and really you only need to leave it there long enough to firm up the bottom of the crust, and then you can slide the paper out from under the pie. I do my pies on a stone on an electric oven at 500f.