General Category > All Grain Brewing

Does mashing for a light or full body beer affect the efficiency?

<< < (2/3) > >>

BrewArk:

--- Quote from: BrewArk on February 09, 2013, 12:09:26 PM ---Don't go out and buy blue spray paint for your boil kettle to try to up your "efficiency".

--- End quote ---
True, spray paint doesn't work.  It has to be blue naturally. ;)

An important distinction - Thank's for having my back ;)

denny:
FWIW, here's the quote from the mash profile section of the help...you decide.....

"The light body profiles mash at a lower temperature resulting in higher enzyme activity and a cleaner lighter overall profile.  Full body profiles mash at a higher temperature resulting in less enzymatic activity and more unfermentable sugars in the finished beer - providing a fuller body to the finished beer."

repo:

--- Quote from: denny on February 09, 2013, 12:49:33 PM ---FWIW, here's the quote from the mash profile section of the help...you decide.....

"The light body profiles mash at a lower temperature resulting in higher enzyme activity and a cleaner lighter overall profile.  Full body profiles mash at a higher temperature resulting in less enzymatic activity and more unfermentable sugars in the finished beer - providing a fuller body to the finished beer."

--- End quote ---

Just missing one word-twice? Could be an easy fix, maybe.
"The light body profiles mash at a lower temperature resulting in higher BETA enzyme activity and a cleaner lighter overall profile.  Full body profiles mash at a higher temperature resulting in less BETA enzymatic activity and more unfermentable sugars in the finished beer - providing a fuller body to the finished beer."

dmtaylor:
Others might beg to differ, but in my experience...

Mash temperature has negligible effect on efficiency.  Ditto for mash time.  Ditto for water to grain ratio (i.e., qts/lb).  If you mash in some water at 148 to 154 F for 40+ minutes, you're going to make beer at an efficiency that is mostly affected only by the extent of the crush.  Beyond the crush, very little matters.

My experience.  YMMV... but I doubt it.

mabrungard:
+ 1 for everything Dave mentions, excepting that runoff time is the next most important variable after crush.  Those two factors are what I feel are the most important for efficiency.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version