General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Unusual Lager Start of Fermentation

<< < (2/2)

jackhorzempa:
“I pitch cold to minimize the VDK production.”

Jeff, I am fully cognizant of the rationale for pitching cold (what I referred to as the ‘traditional’ method in my prior post).

I also recognize that for a starter size of 6 L there is indeed a motivation for not pitching the contents of 6 L of starter beer. An alternative that you might want to consider is performing a crash cool and decant of your 6 Liters but then add just a bit of wort prior to pitching to awaken the yeast just prior to the pitch.

I know that you like to brew in in the ‘traditional’ manner but my method results in fast starts to fermentation with no noticeable flavors from VDK production. The resulting beers also have non-detectable esters or higher alcohols.

As the old saying goes: there is more than one way to skin a rabbit.

I hope that your Helles turns out great!

Cheers!

Jack

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: jackhorzempa on February 12, 2013, 01:52:39 PM ---“I pitch cold to minimize the VDK production.”

Jeff, I am fully cognizant of the rationale for pitching cold (what I referred to as the ‘traditional’ method in my prior post).

I also recognize that for a starter size of 6 L there is indeed a motivation for not pitching the contents of 6 L of starter beer. An alternative that you might want to consider is performing a crash cool and decant of your 6 Liters but then add just a bit of wort prior to pitching to awaken the yeast just prior to the pitch.

I know that you like to brew in in the ‘traditional’ manner but my method results in fast starts to fermentation with no noticeable flavors from VDK production. The resulting beers also have non-detectable esters or higher alcohols.

As the old saying goes: there is more than one way to skin a rabbit.

I hope that your Helles turns out great!

Cheers!

Jack

--- End quote ---
Often I decant and pump wort into the flask(s) while pumping to the conical. This time I forgot.

I do remember some talking about the yeast getting caught up with the cold break and trub, and rousing was required. That may have been the HBD a long time ago.

Blew the yeast off the bottom Saturday afternoon. Today I checked the gravity, a little less than 1.020, so time for the D-rest after 3 days. The usual lager that does not take 2 weeks to ferment out. Yeast was ready, just held back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version