Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Russian River Blind Pig extract clone (from Zymurgy July/Aug 2012 issue)  (Read 4614 times)

Offline justinrice1127

• 1st Kit
This recipe was posted in the Zymurgy July/Aug 2012 issue. 
Russian River Blind Pig IPA
5 gal, 90 min boil, 62 IBU, 6.1% ABV, OG 14.25, FG 3.25. 

I just had a few questions about the 5 gal extract version:

"Substitute pale malt with 7.25 lbs LME.  Steep crystal and dextrin malts in 2.5 gal of water at 160-170 degrees F for 30 min.  Rinse grains, add extract, dissolve completely, and proceed with boil"

1) at what temp of water should I rinse the grains with after steeping?    - (170 degrees?)

2) how much rinse water should I use?    - (1.25 gal....I have heard half of the steeping water volume?  Or should I use more like 2 gal?)

3) do I add any water to the kettle {that already contains the 2.5 gal grain tea water} to bring the volume up to a certain total volume for the boil?  -  (per other IPA recipes, I've read that bringing it up to 3 gal or 3.5 gal for the boil is recommended?  I've also heard to boil with 5 total gal for the whole boil time?  {I use an 8 gal kettle}

4) do I bring the total volume of 'grain tea' water to a boil, flame out, stir in the 7.25 lbs LME, then proceed with the boil, adding the first hop editions?  Or do I just stir in the LME (in the apprx 170 degree 'grain tea' water) before I even turn the burner on to bring to a boil...dissolve LME, then bring to a boil, adding the first hop editions?

5) should I even be putting in all 7.25 lbs of the LME at the beginning and none at the end?  A lot of other recipes has putting in "X" amount of DME prior to boiling and then "X" amount of LME w/ 15 min left in the boil.  This particular recipe only calls for LME and it sounds like it calls for putting it in at the beginning.  I just didn't know if splitting it up would be beneficial when making an IPA. 

5) at what point do I top the wort volume up to a total of 5 gal......after the last hop additions have dissolved that went in at 0 min?  Or into the glass carboy after the wort has been poured in, prior to aerating and pitching?  Or does it matter as long as the temp is around 70 degrees for pitching the yeast?

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: Russian River Blind Pig extract clone (from Zymurgy July/Aug 2012 issue)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:06:06 pm »
Whooee I like that beer. What is the hop schedule?

I'll take a crack at all those questions;

1. 170
2. not critical with steep grains. 1.25 gal good
3.  Full boil better than partial
4.  Heat "grain tea" up to near boiling, kill heat, then stir in LME, it will dissolve faster. When all dissolved, reapply heat to boil.  Boil a few minutes then add your bittering hop addition.
5.  fine to add all LME up front.  Some folks doing partial boils add extract late to limit dark colors
6. Top off to final volume in carboy prior to aeration and pitch.

Good luck

Offline justinrice1127

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:01:17 am »
Whooee I like that beer. What is the hop schedule?

Columbus & Chinook (90 Min)
Amarillo (30 min)
Cascade, Amarillo, Centennial, & Simcoe (0 min)
Cascade, Amarillo, Columbus (dry hop - for 10 days)

Would you recommend adding gypsum to the boil?  If so, how much and at what point?  Also, I have both Ozarka distilled and Ozarka natural spring water?  Would you recommend one over the other to use for my water? 

Offline justinrice1127

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 04:43:03 pm »

Full boil as in start with 5 total gal in brew kettle, or maybe do 6 gal in the kettle, before starting boil?  Recipe calls for a 90 min boil.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 04:55:39 pm »

Full boil as in start with 5 total gal in brew kettle, or maybe do 6 gal in the kettle, before starting boil?  Recipe calls for a 90 min boil.

If you're going 90 minutes, I would go with at least 6.5 gallongs. You'll boil off a gallon and a half in 90 minutes.
Frank