Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Zythos APA or IPA  (Read 8325 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Re: All Zythos APA or IPA
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 06:24:06 pm »
Just chiming in now that the beer is starting to carb.  It's actually really good.  To me, I should say, It is really dank, not citrusy like the "descriptors" describe it, but very good.  It's funny how beers change, some beers taste great when I keg it, then not good when it's drinkable, and vice versa.  I was pleasantly surprised by this one.  Tastes great!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
All Zythos APA or IPA
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 07:19:53 pm »
Just chiming in now that the beer is starting to carb.  It's actually really good.  To me, I should say, It is really dank, not citrusy like the "descriptors" describe it, but very good.  It's funny how beers change, some beers taste great when I keg it, then not good when it's drinkable, and vice versa.  I was pleasantly surprised by this one.  Tastes great!

Bring some next week! We'll judge it.
Trey W.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 07:24:58 am »
Definitely!  Got the apricot puree in too, so we're good to go!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 02:54:12 pm »
I just finished botting my all Zythos APA so I thought I would post my impressions up to this point. Definitely no garlic like I sensed after brewing which is good. The aroma is pretty subtle though pleasant. I get pear, kiwi, and perhaps some other tropical fruit that I cannot put my finger on. The taste is similar and I get some similarities to Columbus with pungent bitterness. For having an OG of 1.060 and 37.5 IBUs it packs a lot more punch than I was expecting. The description for Zythos that I have is citrus-grapefruit which I don't taste or smell.

At this point, am getting a lot of similarity to Lagunitas hop profile. I definitely like this blend and will be using it again but probably not by itself. It is a very different character than I am used to in brews. I would use Zythos for bittering in an IPA but not necessarily an APA as it is more pungent than expected. Next time, I might bitter with Magnum then use a combo of Zythos and something else for flavor/aroma.

B+
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:57:37 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 03:41:28 pm »
I just finished botting my all Zythos APA so I thought I would post my impressions up to this point. Definitely no garlic like I sensed after brewing which is good. The aroma is pretty subtle though pleasant. I get pear, kiwi, and perhaps some other tropical fruit that I cannot put my finger on. The taste is similar and I get some similarities to Columbus with pungent bitterness. For having an OG of 1.060 and 37.5 IBUs it packs a lot more punch than I was expecting. The description for Zythos that I have is citrus-grapefruit which I don't taste or smell.

At this point, am getting a lot of similarity to Lagunitas hop profile. I definitely like this blend and will be using it again but probably not by itself. It is a very different character than I am used to in brews. I would use Zythos for bittering in an IPA but not necessarily an APA as it is more pungent than expected. Next time, I might bitter with Magnum then use a combo of Zythos and something else for flavor/aroma.

B+

Disregard these notes. The 100% munich malt bill has completely overtaken this beer. All the earlier impressions I had of Zythos have all but disappeared. Bummer...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 10:23:26 am »
Local brewpub just put a Zythos IPA on tap. It's OK, but not really my thing. I get dank flavors, some pine, similar to what I tend to get from Simcoe.  Not much citrus. (Their new Mosaic ale, on the other hand...  wow.)
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.