Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aeration Systems  (Read 2781 times)

Offline topher.bartos

• Cellarman
  • Sometimes Messy, Mostly Successful, Always Fun!
Aeration Systems
« on: February 11, 2013, 10:41:59 am »
I've been very concerned about my level of pre-fermentation aeration. I feel it is lacking.

Does anybody know of any good / affordable aeration systems or aquarium pumps or something else.

Thanks!
In the works: Nothing

Primary #1: Nothing

Primary #2: Nothing

Keg: Cascade & Mosaic Session IPA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Aeration Systems
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 10:43:49 am »
Try a MixStir. Inexpensive and I've been vert satisfied with how well it works.  Under $20.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Aeration Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:43:58 am »
I've been very concerned about my level of pre-fermentation aeration. I feel it is lacking.

Does anybody know of any good / affordable aeration systems or aquarium pumps or something else.

Thanks!

Why concerned?

I use either a mixstir attachement for a cordless drill (like a paint stirrer, in fact you can USE a paint stirrer) or lateley I have been sanitizing my balloon whisk and just going at it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:53:28 am »
I'm not sure if this is considered affordable, but after trying the mix stir and aquarium pump routes, I find this to be the most effective:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-OXYGEN-AERATION-SYSTEM-P699.aspx

At least I still use my mix stir for meads.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline topher.bartos

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:01:29 am »

Why concerned?

I use either a mixstir attachement for a cordless drill (like a paint stirrer, in fact you can USE a paint stirrer) or lateley I have been sanitizing my balloon whisk and just going at it.

My beers are very green apple-y (acetaldehyde) and sort of puckering at the end. Generally, I make Stouts and IPAs and never really had that problem before because the flavors are usually hidden by dark malts or lots of hops. But, now I'm making session beers and it's simply frustrating. So, I have a few ideas of what it might be:

1. Young / Green beer. I'm going to age it a little bit to see what happens.
2. Unhealthy yeast. I'm going to try to create a yeast starter and increase aeration.
3. Water problems / mash pH problems. I'm going to try different brewing salt additions to my water to see if I can get the pH under control.

I'm would like to do one thing at a time so I can see what the true problem is....

If you have any ideas, let me know!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:11:31 am »
So, I have a few ideas of what it might be:

1. Young / Green beer. I'm going to age it a little bit to see what happens.
2. Unhealthy yeast. I'm going to try to create a yeast starter and increase aeration.
3. Water problems / mash pH problems. I'm going to try different brewing salt additions to my water to see if I can get the pH under control.

I'm would like to do one thing at a time so I can see what the true problem is....

Doing them one at a time is the right idea.  If you're listing them in order, bump number 2 up to number 1 and you may solve your problem in one step.
Joe

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:22:58 am »
I bought a stainless mix stir for $24 before getting a Williams O2 system for Christmas.  I still use the mix stir when I want a good whirlpool for pellets and trub.  And like Mort, I used a whisk and some elbow grease for probably my first 50 beers which cost about $1.95...... ;)

I would definitely focus on pitching the proper amount of healthy yeast moving forward.  It's essential to making better beer.

As for the water, do you have an analysis of your tap water or do you plan to build it from RO?  And have you downloaded Bru'n Water? 

Dave

Dave Zach

Offline topher.bartos

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 11:26:20 am »

As for the water, do you have an analysis of your tap water or do you plan to build it from RO?  And have you downloaded Bru'n Water? 

I recently got my water analysis back from Ward Labs. I have not yet downloaded Bru'n Water. I usually just add a Campden Tablet and a teaspoon of Gypsum simply because my Calcium is a bit low.

Where can get Bru'n Water?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:32:26 am »

I recently got my water analysis back from Ward Labs. I have not yet downloaded Bru'n Water. I usually just add a Campden Tablet and a teaspoon of Gypsum simply because my Calcium is a bit low.

Here ya' go

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:42:24 am »

Plug in your water chemistry and be sure to read the instructions-twice!  It's a lot to take in but it's a wonderful tool.  Thanks Martin!    :)

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline topher.bartos

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:55:05 am »
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to find a nice something or other for aeration and pitch a starter. Let that beer sit in the fermentor longer than I usually do to promote the yeast to clean all their crap up before I bottle.

Also, I'm going to start using Bru'n Water. I started to play around with it and it seems pretty straight forward.

Hopefully, my next batch will taste more like beer and less like sour apples.

I appreciate all the help!