Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe Scaling  (Read 2259 times)

Offline chadchaney97

• Cellarman
Recipe Scaling
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:43:43 pm »
From what I have read, it is not as easy as just doubling or multiplying your ingredients for the new size of the brewing equipment.   Any good resources of information on this, looking at going from 5 gallon batches to 7-8.5 barrel. 

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Recipe Scaling
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:37:43 pm »
Doing what you are doing. what does the kettle look like. how is it fired? concave or convex bottom what was the previous experience. How hard do you boil?

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:43 pm »
For grain, it depends on the beer and the recipe. For hops, it depends on the equipment (what sort of utilization are you getting?) and your technique (how long are you whirlpooling? how long are you letting it settle? do you have a hopback?)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:05:50 am »
Learning your equipment just like homebrewing.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Recipe Scaling
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:19:23 am »
The biggest difference is going to be hop utilization. You may find your same recipe is a bit higher bitterness do to higher hop utilization from bigger volume of boil and longer whirlpool/chilling/transfer time. I made a lot of changes to my IPA when I started brewing 15 bbl.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 07:29:24 am »
Learning your equipment just like homebrewing.

This. Your equipment will have a different extraction efficiency, and the hop utilization will probably be higher. You could make a guess, but you will need to brew some batches and get it dialed in.

Bells added a 200 barrel brewhouse with lots of modifications. On the open house tour they said it was more efficient than the 50 barrel system, and the recipes had to be adjusted, and they were getting it dialed in.

Some pros will talk about any equipment or process change having an influence on the taste of the beer. Your are changing everything.

Good luck, have fun!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:47:16 am »
The Brewing Network has a few great referencs, both on CYBI and Brew Strong.

For CYBI - look up the show on Pro-AM beers - JZ talks a lot about making commercial beer from a homebrew recipe. Also, you can get some idea of how hop utilization/extraction scales from pro to homebrew by listening to the Firestone Walker shows. Tasty talks about how he replicates the whirl pool on a homebrew scale. You can use the info in reverse.

For Brew Strong - I can't remember the show name, but if you look through their "Going Pro" series there is a show on equipment or recipe building, or both.

Hope this helps!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:48:47 pm »
Thanks for the words here, posted a similar ? elswhere got 1 reply, then found this after searching, a lot of posts here to sift thru.
In dog beers I've had 1