General Category > All Grain Brewing

where do you take mash pH?

<< < (2/4) > >>

mmitchem:
Please correct me if I am wrong gang...

I would say the main mash if you are not recirc'ing. If you can recirc you can pull it straight off the outtake. If you cannot recirc I would try to pull a relatively clean sample from the mash a few minutes after mixing well.

Like Martin said - you want a sample that is representative of the entire mash.

hubie:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on February 12, 2013, 06:22:33 AM ---I take my sample right after I vorlauf and let it come down to room temp.

--- End quote ---

If you're doing it after vorlauf, isn't that too late to do anything about it since you are done mashing?

brewmichigan:

--- Quote from: hubie on February 12, 2013, 07:37:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: davidgzach on February 12, 2013, 06:22:33 AM ---I take my sample right after I vorlauf and let it come down to room temp.

--- End quote ---

If you're doing it after vorlauf, isn't that too late to do anything about it since you are done mashing?

--- End quote ---

make notes and change it next time.

mabrungard:

--- Quote from: hubie on February 12, 2013, 07:37:59 AM ---

--- End quote ---

No, what I'm recommending is that a brewer perform an early vorlauf to fully mix the wort and any foundation water.  This would be in the earliest stage of the mash.  Then let it set and collect your pH sample. 

Kaiser:
I stir the mash and take as pH sample with a small 12 ml glass vial on a stiff piece of copper wire. I then also cool the sample in that vial using ice water.

If I'm confident that the mash pH is fine I may test the first wort.

Kai

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version