Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Calling all Chemists ~ Using old Pot Meta for Chloramine Removal  (Read 1097 times)

Offline dazed

• 1st Kit
  • ®
Calling all Chemists ~ Using old Pot Meta for Chloramine Removal
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:50:13 pm »
I currently use  potassium metabisulfite .035g per gallon of water for Chloramine removal for my brewing water.

I am looking for information regarding use of old pot meta for the same thing.

I usually buy more pot meta than I use in a year for wines, and meads. The general rule is to get
fresh pot meta ever year or it may not work, but it is still good for cleaning equipment.

So my question....Is it still good for Chloramine removal as well?
Any Chemists out there with the answer?
Lifetime Member

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Calling all Chemists ~ Using old Pot Meta for Chloramine Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:00:29 pm »
I am a chemical engineer, not that I think this qualifies me to answer your question any more than anyone else.  But...

Yeah, the old stuff will work just fine for chloramine removal.  Perfect use for it.  I don't know how many grams are in a tablet, but based on things I have read, you need roughly 1/8 tablet per 5-6 gallons of water.

Shoot... I bought my Campden tablets roughly 7 years ago, and I still have almost a full bottle and still use them today.  I haven't had one single Band-Aid flavored beer since the day I started using them.  It works like magic.  And I swear the tablets will probably last like 50 years.  I don't see what a little age is going to hurt.

My 2 cents.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Calling all Chemists ~ Using old Pot Meta for Chloramine Removal
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:26:00 am »
If kept dark, dry, and away from oxygen, your Campden should be good.  The reason you'd want to get fresh every year is that it's difficult to keep dark, dry and away from oxygen.  Net, you have to make the judgement of whether or not you kept it that way.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví