Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Smith, Scaling, & Going Pro  (Read 3823 times)

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Beer Smith, Scaling, & Going Pro
« on: February 11, 2013, 05:01:48 pm »
Is Beer Smith sufficient for scaling hombrew recipes to 3 bbl, 7 bbl, etc?  Is this program enough for starting a microbrewery?  What considerations, if any, need to be taken into account when scaling recipes of that magnitude?
Trey W.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Beer Smith, Scaling, & Going Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:28:06 pm »
I use Promash and it is working well for me.
Each equipment is just a little bit different so you might need to adjust your recipe to your equipment at that time.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:32:05 pm »
The biggest things I've noticed are hop utilization and specialty malt contributions.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:39:23 am »
I've tried scaling some recipes on a smaller scale with success. Knowing/understanding your equipment is fundamental to making this work well. Then the efficiency factor must be manipulated to calibrate your process. I think beersmith works well with all of these factors plus some.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:18:29 am »
I use beersmith to scale from 5 gallons to 75 gallons.  Like was mentioned, you will need to account for the new equipment - some things will change, but how much will come with experience.  I am getting better hop utilization, so some batches are more bitter than expected.  That is common.  I'm still tweaking recipes.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 05:05:35 am »
(from the previous post on scaling):

The Brewing Network has a few great referencs, both on CYBI and Brew Strong.

For CYBI - look up the show on Pro-AM beers - JZ talks a lot about making commercial beer from a homebrew recipe. Also, you can get some idea of how hop utilization/extraction scales from pro to homebrew by listening to the Firestone Walker shows. Tasty talks about how he replicates the whirl pool on a homebrew scale. You can use the info in reverse.

For Brew Strong - I can't remember the show name, but if you look through their "Going Pro" series there is a show on equipment or recipe building, or both.

Hope this helps!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Beer Smith, Scaling, & Going Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 06:55:19 am »
(from the previous post on scaling):

The Brewing Network has a few great referencs, both on CYBI and Brew Strong.

For CYBI - look up the show on Pro-AM beers - JZ talks a lot about making commercial beer from a homebrew recipe. Also, you can get some idea of how hop utilization/extraction scales from pro to homebrew by listening to the Firestone Walker shows. Tasty talks about how he replicates the whirl pool on a homebrew scale. You can use the info in reverse.

For Brew Strong - I can't remember the show name, but if you look through their "Going Pro" series there is a show on equipment or recipe building, or both.

Hope this helps!

Touché
Trey W.