General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

making a yeast starter with distilled water

(1/6) > >>

Wort-H.O.G.:
too many bicarbs and high alkalinity and PH in my well water. im going to try a starter using light DME at 1.040 wort SG, .5gal.

should i be adding calcium chloride (50ppm) and adjusting around 5.0-5.2ph also to make sure its optimal for yeast growth?

guido:
Wouldn't it be easier just to use Spring Water instead that would have some mineral content?

Wort-H.O.G.:
spring water varies from bottle to bottle on mineral content. might have 2ppm calcium or 60ppm. distilled is neutral starting point, so you can then control what you want to add - that's my thought process.

otherwise, if i use my well water, i have to bomb it with lactic acid to drop the ph, and add calcium.

hokerer:

--- Quote from: wort-h.o.g. on February 13, 2013, 12:13:56 PM ---too many bicarbs and high alkalinity and PH in my well water. im going to try a starter using light DME at 1.040 wort SG, .5gal.

should i be adding calcium chloride (50ppm) and adjusting around 5.0-5.2ph also to make sure its optimal for yeast growth?

--- End quote ---

The DME will give you all the minerals you need.  Only thing you might want to think about adding is a bit of yeast nutrient.

hoser:

--- Quote from: hokerer on February 13, 2013, 12:37:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: wort-h.o.g. on February 13, 2013, 12:13:56 PM ---too many bicarbs and high alkalinity and PH in my well water. im going to try a starter using light DME at 1.040 wort SG, .5gal.

--- End quote ---

The DME will give you all the minerals you need.  Only thing you might want to think about adding is a bit of yeast nutrient.

--- End quote ---

This^^^^

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version