Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Floor Malted Pilz thoughts  (Read 10622 times)

Offline bdgrfrisch

• 1st Kit
Floor Malted Pilz thoughts
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:16:06 pm »
I'm getting ready to pick up a fresh bag of Pilsner malt. I'm looking for impressions of the Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner malt. My standby would be Best Pils malt but the floor malted bo pils sounds interesting.
Has anybody used both enough to give any flavor, aroma, workability comments?
The Best Pils will be cheaper, but the $10-$15 difference for a sack really doesn't make a huge difference when you look at it from a batch perspective.
Prost
You can do things two ways, the right way or the wrong way.
Or you can do things my way - which is like the wrong way but faster.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Floor Malted Pilz thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:05:14 am »
I bought a sack last summer and used it for some light lagers and a Kolsch.  I thought it was very tasty with a solid malt backbone but I would not say I was blown away.  I probably couldn't tell the difference between it and Best Pils on a side by side, but that's me and my grain palate.  YMMV.

However, if you buy it, make sure you do 90 minute boils.  I have not had a problem with 60 minute boils with other Pilsner Malt, but my Kolsch definitely had some DMS which was disappointing. 

Dave

EDIT:  End of day, I think it's worth the extra $15 to try it.  See what you think.....
Dave Zach

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:09:42 am »
I have Best Pils and Weyermann Floor-Malted BoPils on hand at all times.  I think the Best Pils has a softer, slightly sweeter graininess, while the Floor-Malted stuff contributes a slightly more assertive graininess, almost like 6-row.  I use a 2:1 ratio of Floor-Malted Pils to Best Pils in my Czech-style pilsners for a more complex malt profile.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:34:05 am »
I have used the Weyermann Bohemian Pils and the Floor Malted Bohemian Pils, along with the standard Weyermann Pils. I think the malt variety is the big differrence, the floor malting adds a little more flavor, but not much.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 10:45:46 am »
I have used the Weyermann Bohemian Pils and the Floor Malted Bohemian Pils, along with the standard Weyermann Pils. I think the malt variety is the big differrence, the floor malting adds a little more flavor, but not much.

Jeff, you bring up something I've always been curious about...what is it about floor malting that makes a difference?  Why would that add more flavor?  Any idea?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jackhorzempa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 11:04:37 am »

Jeff, you bring up something I've always been curious about...what is it about floor malting that makes a difference?  Why would that add more flavor?  Any idea?
Jeff, I reviewed the Weyermann product list (pdf):

•   Bohemian Pilsner Malt: 1.7 – 2.1 L; made from Bohemian barley varieties
•   Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt: 1.6 – 2.3 L; made from Bohemian spring barley
•   Pilsner Malt: 1.5 – 2.1 L: no specific mention of barley variety (German barley varieties?)

How would you compare and contrast the above Malts?

Do you have the opinion that Weyermann makes ‘better’ malts than other German Malting Companies (e.g., Best, Durst, etc.)?

Cheers!

Jack

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 11:42:41 am »

As I understand it, there is more variation in the kernels, leading to a broader flavor. Other than that I don't have any data to share.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:44:58 am »

As I understand it, there is more variation in the kernels, leading to a broader flavor. Other than that I don't have any data to share.

Hey, that's a better guess than anything else I've heard!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 11:48:10 am »

Jeff, I reviewed the Weyermann product list (pdf):

•   Bohemian Pilsner Malt: 1.7 – 2.1 L; made from Bohemian barley varieties
•   Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt: 1.6 – 2.3 L; made from Bohemian spring barley
•   Pilsner Malt: 1.5 – 2.1 L: no specific mention of barley variety (German barley varieties?)

How would you compare and contrast the above Malts?

Do you have the opinion that Weyermann makes ‘better’ malts than other German Malting Companies (e.g., Best, Durst, etc.)?

Cheers!

Jack
You can see the larger spread in color between the Bo-Pils malts, which will give some different flavors, but I thought it was subtle.

The Bo-Pils malt tasted more like the malts flavors you get in Pilsner Urquell. The Weyermann Pils malt tastes, well, German. The Weyermann seems to be kind of middle of the road to me, with less sweetness compared to Best (only have used a little), and not as dry as Durst.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline jackhorzempa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 03:58:31 pm »
Jeff, thank you for taking the time to describe the various Pilsner malts. Based upon your descriptions it seem to me that Durst Pilsner Malt would be the best ‘fit’ for me if I were to brew a German Pilsner.

I frequently purchase homebrew ingredients from Northern Brewer. They sell a German Pilsner malt that is simple labeled as German Pilsner. Does anybody know which malting company that Northern Brewer buys their German Pilsner malt from?

Cheers!

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Floor Malted Pilz thoughts
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 04:45:11 pm »
NB sells Best, but I think the stuff they have labeled as German Pilsner is Schill.  Could also be Weyermann though.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bdgrfrisch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 07:09:32 pm »
Last time I called and asked it was Global Malt pilsner.  I'm not sure how long ago that was though.

Offline bdgrfrisch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 08:39:06 am »
I called again and it is still currently Global Malt.

So it sort of sounds like the Floor Malted Bo Pils would be a great malt for - say a Bo Pils.
I mainly do German beers - helles, marzen, g-pils, dopplebock so I think I will save a few $$s and go with the Best Maltz pils.

But I'm glad to have gotten some good info out of this questions.

Cheers...

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 08:42:07 am »
I mainly do German beers - helles, marzen, g-pils, dopplebock so I think I will save a few $$s and go with the Best Maltz pils.

I've used Best, Weyermann, Cargill, Durst and Global and IMO, you can't beat Best for those styles you mentioned.

I just made my Czech Pils with Best, although I did want to try the floor malted in it - next time...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jackhorzempa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 11:39:12 am »
I called again and it is still currently Global Malt.

So it sort of sounds like the Floor Malted Bo Pils would be a great malt for - say a Bo Pils.

But I'm glad to have gotten some good info out of this questions.

Cheers...
Thanks for that information: Northern Brewer German Pilsners Malt is from Global Malting.

Cheers!