Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Floor Malted Pilz thoughts  (Read 10623 times)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Floor Malted Pilz thoughts
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 05:34:27 pm »
Just for the record.
Global malting is Shills malting right now.

Difference between wayernmann floor malted pilsner and regular Bo pilsner in is in kind of barley they are using. I am using split 40/60 in mine bohemian pilsner. I always mix two base malts and it had been working quite well.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 10:31:18 am »
FYI, I was just in NB Minneapolis stocking up on some supplies.  They said their standard German Pilsner malt is usually Schill, but they will sometimes use Global, depending on what's available.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 08:08:39 am »
so i did make my Czech Pils with the weyermann floor malted bohemian.  its taking a LOT longer to clear than when I make this recipe with Best or regular Weyermann Pilsner.  I changed nothing in the recipes aside from the base malt.  It is clearing, just that usually after 6-8 weeks of lagering, my pils are generally crystal clear - as good as filtered almost.

anyone else noticing this?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 08:39:12 am »
What yeast do you use, Paul?  I find that the Urquell yeast can be tough sometimes.  Also water chemistry seems to be important, need to make sure there is enough calcium I the mash.  Different grains may have different mineral contents.  Just throwing it out there.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline blatz

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 09:07:26 am »
What yeast do you use, Paul?  I find that the Urquell yeast can be tough sometimes.  Also water chemistry seems to be important, need to make sure there is enough calcium I the mash.  Different grains may have different mineral contents.  Just throwing it out there.

been rolling WL833 the past few months.  I've made this same recipe, exactly, even the water 'recipe' twice before this year using a mix of Best and Weyermann, and its crystal clear. 

this is a recent dortmunder, but the clarity was the same as the CP that was on tap before it, so you get the idea:

I will try to take a pic of the newest CP tonight.  perhaps there is just a lot more sediment in the bottom than normal and it will eventually clear.  Maybe i've just been spoiled of late.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

narvin

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 09:32:55 am »
Did you take a pH measurement?  Different base malts, even of the same color, can vary in their acidity according to Kai's experiments.

Offline blatz

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 09:37:15 am »
Did you take a pH measurement?  Different base malts, even of the same color, can vary in their acidity according to Kai's experiments.

i did not  >:(

i only take them nowadays when I'm using a new recipe or if I'm changing my mineral additions.

you make an excellent point - I figured with the same SRM i would not have any issue, but as you've pointed out, I figured wrong.

it tastes phenomenal.  i'll give it a few more pints before I'm really concerned.  its just frustrating as my friend dan and I had 3 pints out of this keg last week and then I had 2 last night and its still hazy, which I usually don't deal with after the initial pour off.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 10:22:03 am »
I have a sack of Best pils now which I'm excited to try. I just finished up a sack of Rahr pils and don't care for it. The malt character is kind of off...not what I'm looking for, not German in flavor at all. I know, it's domestic...duh. But I'm excited to try some other malts.
Anyone else notice or dislike the flavor of Rahr pils? Used it in a helles a couple times, and it's not the greatest. I thought it was my water so I switched to RO, I thought it was the yeast so I used a different yeast, but the same flavor is still there that has to be the malt...so...yeah.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:23:39 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 11:56:09 am »

i did not  >:(

i only take them nowadays when I'm using a new recipe or if I'm changing my mineral additions.

you make an excellent point - I figured with the same SRM i would not have any issue, but as you've pointed out, I figured wrong.

it tastes phenomenal.  i'll give it a few more pints before I'm really concerned.  its just frustrating as my friend dan and I had 3 pints out of this keg last week and then I had 2 last night and its still hazy, which I usually don't deal with after the initial pour off.

Do you use any clarifiers in the keg?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline blatz

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 11:58:32 am »
Do you use any clarifiers in the keg?

I do on ales on occasionally, but not usually with lagers since the lagering period (4 weeks or more) tends to drop them clear. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 01:49:41 pm »
Hey Paul I just did the Bo-pils with almost all of that malt, ran a little short. It was the triple decoction that I did on Monday,will report back. Also added clarity ferm to the primary. So that is nice, and I've got that going for me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:44:12 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 03:27:04 pm »
I have used at least two, maybe three sacks of this in the last couple years and never noticed a difference in clarity, but rather than lager the beer, I add gelatin to the keg.  So I guess this won't help.  Sorry.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline blatz

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 02:26:47 pm »
eh - i guess it just took a bit longer to clear than I'm accustomed, but it still did.

This pic isn't great but it works.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 07:28:48 pm »
Paul,

I will be over in just a jiffy.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 06:40:32 am »
Paul,

I will be over in just a jiffy.
Yeah, me too.
Jesse