Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New to All Grain Brewing, Beers tasting really grainy  (Read 8364 times)

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
New to All Grain Brewing, Beers tasting really grainy
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:22:15 pm »
Hey guys,

I am currently 5 batches in on my all grain brewing. I have done the Scotish Heavy Recipe on here Brown Eyed Women, I have done 2 cream ales, a double IPA and an American Wheat. All (except the double IPA, which I am putting up to the high IBU's) have an annoying grainy characteristic to the which I have no clue where it is coming from. I batch sparge, keep mash temp between 148-154 depending on style. I am to new to this to really mess with water chemistry. Any suggestions as to what can be causing this. I can only place the flavor as a biscuit/bread type flavor (not yeasty). Any suggestions would be great.
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: New to All Grain Brewing, Beers tasting really grainy
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:33:05 pm »
Mashing too hot, sparging too hot, or too long, boiling grain, and maybe over-crushed grains could be a culprit. I'm not sure about this, but I seem to recall that if you use pilsner malt and don't mash long enough, or boil long enough, that can also cause grainy off-flavors. Can you tell us about your malts and mashing steps?
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 06:57:59 am »
What were the recipes?  OG and FG?  Sparge water temp is a good one.

Are you sure your thermometer is calibrated? 

Per Jammin, please give us some more info.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:37:23 am »
My money is on high pH if you're not doing anything to adjust your water. All the beers you have listed are pretty pale in color, so you run the risk of hitting a pH that is high enough to cause issues.

If you don't have an analysis of your tap water handy, then brew one batch with RO water, using BrunWater or Kai's online mash chemistry calculator (http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/)to make sure your mash pH is in the 5.3-5.3 range. If that solves your problem then you know it's your water.

Edit: 5.3-5.5 pH, oops!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:20:24 am by erockrph »
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:14:18 am »
My money is on high pH if you're not doing anything to adjust your water. All the beers you have listed are pretty pale in color, so you run the risk of hitting a pH that is high enough to cause issues.

If you don't have an analysis of your tap water handy, then brew one batch with RO water, using BrunWater or Kai's online mash chemistry calculator (http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/)to make sure your mash pH is in the 5.3 -5.5 range. If that solves your problem then you know it's your water.
FTFY
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:16:04 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:18:42 am »

If you don't have an analysis of your tap water handy, then brew one batch with RO water, using BrunWater or Kai's online mash chemistry calculator (http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/)to make sure your mash pH is in the 5.3 -5.5 range. If that solves your problem then you know it's your water.
FTFY

Yes, that would be a pretty tight range!  I also Googled FTFY and there is a secondary meaning which made me laugh..... :o

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:29:32 am »
Hmmm might have to use the Google's.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 12:15:33 pm »
Could you get this grainy flavor from under-conversion of the grains?

My last doppelbock came in WAY low (partial mash, not all grain) and tastes very malty/grainy.  Not malty in the way that I would like it to, so perhaps grainy is the better descriptor.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 12:00:55 am »
I have noticed a grainy character to several beers I have brewed. Mostly with pils malt but I suspect it's just a green beer thing. After a couple days in the keg chilling out and settling most of the grainy flavour is gone.

This is assuming what you are tasting is like chewing on a piece of malt. If you are talking about grainy astringency that dries out your tongue that's when to look at your sparge temp and/or pH.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 06:04:46 am »
I wonder if you're just not used to drinking good beer yet.  After brewing with extract for many years, I remember how blown away I was about the good grainy character imparted from my first all-grain beer.  It was awesome.  Might be as simple as that!

Otherwise I would blame 6-row malt if you have been using that at all, or a possible pH problem, or you could be picking up asringency if you do not vorlauf well enough and boil too many chunks of unstrained grain material.  You might want to look into vorlauf or recirculation to ensure you are doing everything by the book there.  It's happened to me early on in my all-grain experience.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 07:43:43 am »
With my (failed) doppelbock, it's similar to a chalky texture.  So I suppose it could be astringency.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 09:03:00 am »
With my (failed) doppelbock, it's similar to a chalky texture.  So I suppose it could be astringency.

yeah, chalky says astringency to me.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 11:20:45 am »
I would also think this is an astringent issue - what is your sparging/vorlauf/run-off process like?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 11:22:46 am »
I would also think this is an astringent issue - what is your sparging/vorlauf/run-off process like?

And more important...pH
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 11:58:44 am »
Normally, I would also say use a good calculator like Bru'n Water.  But that requires knowledge of the water supply quality.  For a new brewer, that might be asking a lot.  However, now that this brewer has several batches under the belt and they are consistently failing expectations, its time to start looking at water as a potential problem.  This brewer does need to start researching the local water or send a sample in for testing.  It will be money well spent. 

With good data on the water, Bru'n Water will help decipher if the water is a problem.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks