General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

New to All Grain Brewing, Beers tasting really grainy

(1/4) > >>

scottgott01:
Hey guys,

I am currently 5 batches in on my all grain brewing. I have done the Scotish Heavy Recipe on here Brown Eyed Women, I have done 2 cream ales, a double IPA and an American Wheat. All (except the double IPA, which I am putting up to the high IBU's) have an annoying grainy characteristic to the which I have no clue where it is coming from. I batch sparge, keep mash temp between 148-154 depending on style. I am to new to this to really mess with water chemistry. Any suggestions as to what can be causing this. I can only place the flavor as a biscuit/bread type flavor (not yeasty). Any suggestions would be great.

jamminbrew:
Mashing too hot, sparging too hot, or too long, boiling grain, and maybe over-crushed grains could be a culprit. I'm not sure about this, but I seem to recall that if you use pilsner malt and don't mash long enough, or boil long enough, that can also cause grainy off-flavors. Can you tell us about your malts and mashing steps?

davidgzach:
What were the recipes?  OG and FG?  Sparge water temp is a good one.

Are you sure your thermometer is calibrated? 

Per Jammin, please give us some more info.

Dave

erockrph:
My money is on high pH if you're not doing anything to adjust your water. All the beers you have listed are pretty pale in color, so you run the risk of hitting a pH that is high enough to cause issues.

If you don't have an analysis of your tap water handy, then brew one batch with RO water, using BrunWater or Kai's online mash chemistry calculator (http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/)to make sure your mash pH is in the 5.3-5.3 range. If that solves your problem then you know it's your water.

Edit: 5.3-5.5 pH, oops!

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: erockrph on February 14, 2013, 07:37:23 AM ---My money is on high pH if you're not doing anything to adjust your water. All the beers you have listed are pretty pale in color, so you run the risk of hitting a pH that is high enough to cause issues.

If you don't have an analysis of your tap water handy, then brew one batch with RO water, using BrunWater or Kai's online mash chemistry calculator (http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/)to make sure your mash pH is in the 5.3 -5.5 range. If that solves your problem then you know it's your water.

--- End quote ---
FTFY

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version