Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: thoughts on good RO system?  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
thoughts on good RO system?
« on: February 16, 2013, 01:32:58 pm »
anyone have a reverse osmosis system in their house, that they have had for a few years or more and can recommend?

thanks
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline james

• Brewer
Re: thoughts on good RO system?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:23:02 pm »
I had a SpectraPure DWS (Drinking Water System) back when I lived in Michigan because I had pretty bad well water.  When I moved I broke it down and packed it away.  Just a few months ago I found it in a box, cleaned and sanitized everything, changed out the carbon filter and ran it to see if the membrane was still good.

Amazingly it still works great, 5ppm water measured with my TDS meter.   I built a reservoir and use it to generate all of my brewing water now.

I guess the membrane must have stayed wet enough that it didn't stop working completely.  Maybe there is more waste water now than before.  I should measure the quantity so whenever I end up replacing the RO membrane I can see if the waste water quantity goes down.

This is the only RO system I've ever owned so I can't really say how it compares to others

Offline jstein3

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:30:33 pm »
I have a puromax system.  Had the same unit in two different houses now.  Was affordable, and reliable, but have no other reference.  Only complaint I have on it is that it only has a 1g tank and takes a while to replenish.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 04:02:13 pm »
I have hard water so have a whole house softener and an undersink RO unit that will produce about 2 gallons at a whack. Then it takes about an hour to refill. Still, it's no problem to get my buckets filled when brewing.

Bought them both at Lowes. The brand is Whirlpool. These units are designed to work in conjunction.

I haven't changed the membranes either in three years(?) and the TDS has been in the 7-14 ppm range- which is essentially pure. Tastes great too.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis