Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oak a Chocolate Imperial Stout  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
Oak a Chocolate Imperial Stout
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:27:28 am »
I’m considering oaking my Chocolate Imperial Stout.  I have 6 oz. of Light toast American White Oak.  Do you think the chocolate and oak flavors would be OK together?  The beer is finished, after 3 weeks in the primary, 9% ABV, I probably should rack it before oaking for a couple weeks, right?  I'm thinking about toasting the oak to about a medium level before using it, which would sanitize it, too.  Thanks, see you all in Philly in June.

Dave King, BIER
Dave King, President of BIER

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Re: Oak a Chocolate Imperial Stout
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 04:29:24 pm »
If you get any vanilla out of the oak I think it would work well. 2 weeks aging would be the minimum. Just taste it and remove the oak when it tastes how you want it.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:44:49 am »
If you get any vanilla out of the oak I think it would work well. 2 weeks aging would be the minimum. Just taste it and remove the oak when it tastes how you want it.

+1
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:57:32 am »
With oak and stouts, I think less about the flavors that work together (because they most often do) and think about the flavors that may clash.

For instance - if your stout has an assertive roasty flavor (on the high end of the style, almost astringent), then heavily toasted oak may make the beer overly astringent. Go with light or medium toasted oak instead.

FWIW - I think medium toasted french oak is a solid choice for most oak-aged beers. Just buy the stuff thats already toasted so you don't have to worry about over toasting or unevenly toasting. Sanitize by boiling it in a few changes of water.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/