Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermax Yeast Nutrient  (Read 23671 times)

Offline justinrice1127

• 1st Kit
Fermax Yeast Nutrient
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:28:39 pm »
I bought some Crosby & Baker Fermax Yeast Nutrient and on the bottle it recommends to use 1 tsp per gal, however I've been told to only use 1 tsp per 5 gal.  Which is correct?

Also, at what point in the boil is it best to add it?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Fermax Yeast Nutrient
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 03:29:08 pm »
Does the it say 1 tsp/gallon of must. That would be the wine dosage.

For beer maybe a 1/2 to 1 tsp towards the end of the boil.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:18:32 pm »
I don't think it specifies must/wort, but it is sold for both.  I'd agree 1tsp/gallon is a lot. Unless they've added some filler, which I doubt, I'd go with 1tsp/5gal.  Wine must has fewer nutrients than wort, which is why you'd use less.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline justinrice1127

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:53:03 am »
I don't think it specifies must/wort, but it is sold for both.  I'd agree 1tsp/gallon is a lot. Unless they've added some filler, which I doubt, I'd go with 1tsp/5gal.  Wine must has fewer nutrients than wort, which is why you'd use less.

Yeah, it doesn't specify must/wort on the bottle.  I'll go with 1 tsp/5 gal.  Thanks!

Adding at the end of the boil.....like w/in the last 15 min, 10 min, or 5 min?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:49:49 am »

Yeah, it doesn't specify must/wort on the bottle.  I'll go with 1 tsp/5 gal.  Thanks!

Adding at the end of the boil.....like w/in the last 15 min, 10 min, or 5 min?

Any would be fine, use 5 if you wish.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:51:45 am »
It's for the yeast, so it doesn't really matter when you add it. I don't think boiling hurts it, so you could add it beginning, middle, end of boil, in the fermentor. Same effect. Just pick what is convenient for you. I like to throw nurtients, irish moss, etc in the bowl with my flavor hop addition if I'm using one. That way I can't forget it.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline SteveF

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 06:02:15 am »
I can confirm that 5 teaspoons added to a 5 gallon extract batch is way too much!  I just brewed a cream ale with 1.5 LB 6 Row Grain, 3.3LB LME and 5LB DME and added 1 teaspoon per gallon as the Fermax label states and after only 6 hours the fermentation was the most vigorous I've ever seen. I ended up losing ~95 cubic inches via blowoff. (1 inch from my 11 inch diameter fermentor). That's almost 5 x 12 ounce bottles, painful to throw that beer/StarSan mix down the drain... I'll try 1 teaspoon next batch.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:26:31 am by SteveF »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 11:48:55 am »
I can confirm that 5 teaspoons added to a 5 gallon extract batch is way too much!  I just brewed a cream ale with 1.5 LB 6 Row Grain, 3.3LB LME and 5LB DME and added 1 teaspoon per gallon as the Fermax label states and after only 6 hours the fermentation was the most vigorous I've ever seen. I ended up losing ~95 cubic inches via blowoff. (1 inch from my 11 inch diameter fermentor). That's almost 5 x 12 ounce bottles, painful to throw that beer/StarSan mix down the drain... I'll try 1 teaspoon next batch.

Don't be too discouraged - get ready and brew again!  And welcome to the forum - great Brewers hang around here, so don't be afraid to ask a question or to question the conventional approach.  We all learn as we go....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 03:36:40 pm »
Would yeast nutrient be good to use in starters? Or is it best left for the actual fermentation?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 04:08:06 pm »
Would yeast nutrient be good to use in starters? Or is it best left for the actual fermentation?

Absolutely!  Maybe even more so than in your batch.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 05:28:38 pm »

For sure.  I have always used it in my starters. That is when the yeast really need it most = for growth. Also helps in the kettle too!

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 08:03:48 am »

For sure.  I have always used it in my starters. That is when the yeast really need it most = for growth. Also helps in the kettle too!

Ok, so I should add to both the starter and the last few minutes of the boil? I have some on hand I used for a batch of mead I made about a year ago, and never thought to use it in my beer. Usually I come in just a couple points high on my FG, and maybe this will help!

Thanks guys! I feel like Im learning more and more every day from this site! (and also learning from Denny and Brulosophy, some things just don't matter with as little as they can change a batch :P)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 10:05:46 am »
Ok, so I should add to both the starter and the last few minutes of the boil? I have some on hand I used for a batch of mead I made about a year ago, and never thought to use it in my beer. Usually I come in just a couple points high on my FG, and maybe this will help!

Thanks guys! I feel like Im learning more and more every day from this site! (and also learning from Denny and Brulosophy, some things just don't matter with as little as they can change a batch :P)

Yep, use it on both.  I can't say it makes a world of difference, but it's cheap insurance.  Let me know if it makes a difference in your FG...I'm skeptical.  Also, how do you know you're a couple points high on your FG?  How do you know it isn't right where it's supposed to be?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 11:25:00 am »

Yep, use it on both.  I can't say it makes a world of difference, but it's cheap insurance.  Let me know if it makes a difference in your FG...I'm skeptical.  Also, how do you know you're a couple points high on your FG?  How do you know it isn't right where it's supposed to be?

Maybe I m misunderstanding what you are asking or intending, but what I mean is I typically aim for a particular FG. In almost all of my brews I always end up a few points higher than what I was originally aiming for, or what a recipe says I should be at. Now, recently I have been much much closer than where I started. This last one I was only off my FG by one point (1.015 was target 1.016 was actual), and I considered that one as right on the money. That was only my 8th batch too I think. I don't stress too much about it since it all tastes good, and since Im still so new to the whole brewing process and experience. This was the first one I really put a ton of effort into fermentation control, and also it was my first time using a starter, AND doing BIAB. I really enjoyed this brew! Im gonna have my first taste of the final product on Tuesday, but when I tasted the uncarbonated beer it was DELICIOUS!

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 10:35:13 am »
I add a quarter of a teaspoon of Fermax to starters.