General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Fermax Yeast Nutrient

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jimmy K:
It's for the yeast, so it doesn't really matter when you add it. I don't think boiling hurts it, so you could add it beginning, middle, end of boil, in the fermentor. Same effect. Just pick what is convenient for you. I like to throw nurtients, irish moss, etc in the bowl with my flavor hop addition if I'm using one. That way I can't forget it.

SteveF:
I can confirm that 5 teaspoons added to a 5 gallon extract batch is way too much!  I just brewed a cream ale with 1.5 LB 6 Row Grain, 3.3LB LME and 5LB DME and added 1 teaspoon per gallon as the Fermax label states and after only 6 hours the fermentation was the most vigorous I've ever seen. I ended up losing ~95 cubic inches via blowoff. (1 inch from my 11 inch diameter fermentor). That's almost 5 x 12 ounce bottles, painful to throw that beer/StarSan mix down the drain... I'll try 1 teaspoon next batch.

ynotbrusum:

--- Quote from: SteveF on September 07, 2016, 05:02:15 AM ---I can confirm that 5 teaspoons added to a 5 gallon extract batch is way too much!  I just brewed a cream ale with 1.5 LB 6 Row Grain, 3.3LB LME and 5LB DME and added 1 teaspoon per gallon as the Fermax label states and after only 6 hours the fermentation was the most vigorous I've ever seen. I ended up losing ~95 cubic inches via blowoff. (1 inch from my 11 inch diameter fermentor). That's almost 5 x 12 ounce bottles, painful to throw that beer/StarSan mix down the drain... I'll try 1 teaspoon next batch.

--- End quote ---

Don't be too discouraged - get ready and brew again!  And welcome to the forum - great Brewers hang around here, so don't be afraid to ask a question or to question the conventional approach.  We all learn as we go....

deadpoetic0077:
Would yeast nutrient be good to use in starters? Or is it best left for the actual fermentation?

denny:

--- Quote from: deadpoetic0077 on September 09, 2016, 02:36:40 PM ---Would yeast nutrient be good to use in starters? Or is it best left for the actual fermentation?

--- End quote ---

Absolutely!  Maybe even more so than in your batch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version