Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitizer in the Fermenter  (Read 3635 times)

Offline mwhammer99

• 1st Kit
  • Stop! ...wait for it... Hammertime!
Sanitizer in the Fermenter
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:55:26 pm »
Ok, so I was racking to my secondary for the first time, and I primed my racking cane with sanitizer.  When I moved it into the fermenter, the siphon broke, releasing about a racking cane worth of sanitizer into the brew.  I went ahead and racked it anyhow, but has anyone had any issues with this? :-\
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sanitizer in the Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 03:36:29 pm »
What sanitizer were you using?  I'd bet that you got such a small amount in there you'll be fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mwhammer99

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:55:27 am »
Iodophor

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 08:14:44 am »
I'd say there was a lesson learned there. Look into getting an autosiphon if you must siphon.

Based on scale I'd say you will probably be ok flavor-wise. That kind of sanitizer can seriously jack up any living organisms in a solution, but again probably dilute enough not to have a large effect. If you have carbing problems then you'll know what the reason is.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Siamese Moose

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:36:41 am »
I have put 10 gallons of fresh wort onto 2 gallons of star-san, and it came out fine. The iodine in the sanitizer will evaporate fairly quick, especially if there's any significant CO2 generation. If you're really worried about it add some fresh yeast a day before bottling.
Please read her profile, and reelect my wife to the Governing Committee: Roxanne Westendorf

I named my brewery after my cat, Moose. He's Siamese.
Rob Westendorf
Cincinnati, OH
Bloatarian Brewing League current President
BJCP National (outranked by my wife, the Master Judge)

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:02:03 am »
I have put 10 gallons of fresh wort onto 2 gallons of star-san, and it came out fine. The iodine in the sanitizer will evaporate fairly quick, especially if there's any significant CO2 generation. If you're really worried about it add some fresh yeast a day before bottling.

StarSan and iodine sanitizers are two different animals, with iodine being a poison. 2 gallons of any sanitizer, or anything other than the beer into a 5 gallon batch would be a drain pour in my book. I don't think you'd want more than a trace residual of even the iodine sanitizer remaining, never mind ounces of it.

Offline mwhammer99

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 05:22:46 am »
I actually have an autosiphon, but it keeps losing the seal at the neck (the hose doesn't seal well to the cane).  Guess I need a new hose.  I did discover that it doesn't reach the bottom of my carboy, so that sort of sucks too.

@Moose - If I add yeast prior to bottling, won't I have problems blowing up the bottles?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 05:54:48 am »
No problems as long as it is fully fermented.  Then the yeast only have the priming sugar available to ferment.  But I agree that a racking cane worth should not cause much problem, if it was a fairly diluted solution to start with.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"