Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing water in CO  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Brewing water in CO
« on: February 14, 2013, 07:10:31 pm »
My wife and I have been looking into buying a second home in Colorado. The house we are looking at is on a well but at a high elevation. I am conscious of the demand home brewing (and in my case all grain) could put on the well. But if I were a resident is it lawful to fill water from streams and take it to my home brew home on the hill?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: Brewing water in CO
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:41:25 pm »
 :).  Lawful?  Probably not; all water is spoken for in this state.

That said, I can't imagine anybody downstream would ever pester you about filling your kettle.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Re: Brewing water in CO
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:27:55 am »
There are many people that use the water from Eldorado Natural Springs, that being said i know there laws (especially during droughts that prevent from recycling your own water (showers, rain catcher tubs etc.) and as stated pretty much water in the state is "owned" by someone downstream.

However, according to Aravada Brewing owner, he never has to had any minerals to his water (city not sure about well), unless you are trying to match a specific water chemistry

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.