Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Polyclar 10 and bottling  (Read 2202 times)

Offline jimbo2

• 1st Kit
Polyclar 10 and bottling
« on: February 14, 2013, 07:22:19 pm »
I made an Irish Red that had vigorously fermented (so much so that it pushed the lid on my bucket into a dome) and I suspect finished yesterday.  I pulled a sample to test gravity tonight.  I have hit all my numbers spot on, so I am happy.  I tasted the sample and it was good except for the mega-butt-ton of yeast still in suspension; not unexpected, but the yeast (WL Irish Ale) completely dominated look, smell, and taste.

I know the vast majority of yeast will settle, and between now and then the yeast character should be history; But, I want this baby to be as clear as possible.  I am considering using Polyclar 10 in my secondary for 48 hours before bottling, but concerned about losing all of my available yeast for bottle conditioning (not yet invested into kegging).

Here is the $25 question: Can/should I harvest yeast from the fermentation bucket, wash and repitch after racking off (essentially repitching into my bottling bucket with my conditioning sugar) the Polyclar?  Is this too ambitious/risky?  Is this unnecessary/dumb?

Thanks, all.
Jimbo
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:24:09 pm by jimbo2 »

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Polyclar 10 and bottling
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 06:34:59 am »
I think you're just making more work for yourself. Post-fermentation finings won't pull all the yeast out of the beer. There will be plenty left to carbonate the beer.

As a side note, I don't believe Polyclar is intended to be used to clear yeast, but rather proteins and polyphenols. I personally use gelatin and cold to drop yeast out of suspension.
Mark Gres

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Polyclar 10 and bottling
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 07:44:44 pm »
Yeah, don't be in a hurry here. If active fermentation just got done, let it go for another week at least on the yeast cake. It'll clear.
Jesse