Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: morebeer reconditioned corny kegs  (Read 6892 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: morebeer reconditioned corny kegs
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 01:21:38 pm »
Here is an attempted close up. You can see the nut part is digging into the rubber which makes it pretty much impossible to get a good grab on with a wrench or socket.

Morebeer just responded to my email and offered to send a replacement keg. I am still not happy as this thing never should have left their business like this to start with. They had to have seen it. But at least they are doing something to make it right.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 01:42:00 pm »
Now you just need to, very carefully, bend the keg back into shape and replace the post.  Two kegs for the price of one.  8^) 

If they don't ask for the keg back, that's what I would be doing.  What's the worst that can happen?  It becomes unusable? 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 02:35:20 pm »
Now you just need to, very carefully, bend the keg back into shape and replace the post.  Two kegs for the price of one.  8^) 

If they don't ask for the keg back, that's what I would be doing.  What's the worst that can happen?  It becomes unusable? 

Paul

My thinking exactly
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 02:49:05 pm »

even then, you'll have spare parts which these days cost almost the same as the keg!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 03:28:41 pm »
I don't know kegs, but is there a reason you can't take a blowtorch to the thing and melt back the rubber so that you can get a socket on that nut?
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 04:36:34 pm »
I like the way you think. If they send me a new keg and let me keep the old one I just might try that.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 05:39:01 am »
I like the way you think. If they send me a new keg and let me keep the old one I just might try that.

A sharp knife and a putty knife will do the job too.

Personally, I would use a 4lb hammer head (I happen to have one) as a backer weight and see it I could pound out the bend before I moved on to the torch.  I helped rebuild old cars in high school so I have a bit of experience pounding out fenders.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 04:25:34 pm »
Morebeer is paying the shipping for me to send mine back.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 04:49:06 pm »
Sorry!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 04:58:09 pm »
As long as the next one they send me isnt defective also I am good with it.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
morebeer reconditioned corny kegs
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 06:48:41 pm »
I've had some problems with More Beer in the past and they have always worked hard to make it right. I can understand why you are irritated that the keg shipped out in the first place (and if they truly were "reconditioned you's think that this one would not have been very easy to replace "o" rings on) but you gotta hand it to them regardless for fixing your issue.

Good on morebeer I say.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 08:32:01 pm »
I had a 10 gallon keg with a post like that, and I used it for a couple of years before I noticed it.  Hard to get the post on, but otherwise, no problems. I finally noticed some air getting in the lines and realized the post needed to be repaired.  I had removed the post a couple of times and just hadn't noticed it.  It happens. Glad they made it right. 
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 11:48:17 pm »
I just received my replacement keg. But instead of including shipping labels to send the old one back in the box the replacement came in,  they gave me a FedEx URL where I could log in and print my own. The problem is 1. the link to print the labels from at the FedEx URL is dead. 2. I don't have a printer so I have to hope I can somehow put the labels on a thumb drive and take them someplace to have them printed. They just refuse to make this easy.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 07:47:45 am »
The post is very protected by the handles. It would have to be a precise impact to land on the post and I fail to see how it could happen during shipping to you.

It might have happened if it was just thrown into a shipping container along with a thousand other kegs. Regardless, the fact that the keg was sent to you like that really makes me question buying anything from Morebeer despite their attempt to reconcile the situation.

I also judge businesses by the pain in the rear factor. Too much and I go somewhere else even if it costs a bit more.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis