Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Accurate thermometer  (Read 10372 times)

Offline BrewQwest

• Cellarman
Re: Accurate thermometer
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 06:34:00 pm »
.. thanks for the link on the lollipop...I know some fellow brewing friends that will appreciate this...and cheers!!
On a never-ending journey for the perfect pint of beer...

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 07:02:06 pm »
Disagree on your analysis of freezing and boiling for calibration. It's a well accepted way to calibrate thermometers , considering most do not havens calibration block. The point being, you don't care about the temps of 32 and 210-212, they just provide references on both ends of temperature spectrum so you can establish a calibration curve for your thermometer.

How would you replicate 150f or similar mash temp and know its that temp without a calibration block??

Sorry, but you can't replicate 32F or 212F either without some work.  You cannot rely on actually producing a 32F temperature with water and ice.  The Thermapen website has proof of that.  However, with adequate precautions, it should be close according to that same site.  An important thing with regard to boiling point is that you have to correct for your elevation or you won't properly account for what the temperature is.  Remember that 212F is the BP at sea level.  It changes significantly with increasing elevation. 

As others have alluded, just because you have a match with your thermometer at freezing and boiling, it does not confirm that the linearity of temperature measurement for your instrument will extend through that all-important temperature range we are interested in.  That is why it is still better to find an accurate reference standard to calibrate to in that temperature range.  Its easy enough to add 150F to 180F water into an insulated jug or container and insert the reference and working thermometers.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 08:41:54 pm »
My elevation is 210f for boiling. And no, there is no knowing for sure, but it's the best I can do or anyone can do without a calibration block - exactly why the reason I started this thread. Within a degree is the best I can hope for with these tests.

Anyway, apparently nobody can say there mash temps are dead on ( w/o calibration device) and if there thermometer is accurate after months or years of use.

"Its easy enough to add 150F to 180F water into an insulated jug or container and insert the reference and working thermometers."  - Mabrungard, can you explain how you go about doing this... Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:14:57 am by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 04:41:48 am »
If anyone else is curious, I was wondering what a "traceable" thermometer was, and found this:
http://www.epa.gov/hg/traceability.htm
On the website it states "user sends the thermometer back to the manufacturer for recalibration after manufacturer's recomended interval"
Do any of you with traceable thermometers send them back for recalibration?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 11:07:19 am »
My elevation is 210f for boiling. And no, there is no knowing for sure, but it's the best I can do or anyone can do without a calibration block - exactly why the reason I started this thread. Within a degree is the best I can hope for with these tests.

Anyway, apparently nobody can say there mash temps are dead on ( w/o calibration device) and if there thermometer is accurate after months or years of use.

"Its easy enough to add 150F to 180F water into an insulated jug or container and insert the reference and working thermometers."  - Mabrungard, can you explain how you go about doing this... Thanks.

I have personal experience with thermometers that were on at the extremes but off at mash temps.  I finally gave up abd bought a calibration thermo that I use to calibrate my brewing thermos at 150F.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 12:48:10 pm »
" I finally gave up and bought a calibration thermo that I use to calibrate my brewing thermos at 150F." -

Denny- can you explain....not sure what you mean by calibration thermo?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 12:53:58 pm »
" I finally gave up and bought a calibration thermo that I use to calibrate my brewing thermos at 150F." -

Denny- can you explain....not sure what you mean by calibration thermo?

It's a tested, calibrated alcohol scientific calibration thermometer.  Requires immersion up to the point you're reading.  I use that to double check my "lollipop", then use the lollipop to calibrate my other thermometers.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 12:59:10 pm »
where would you buy one of these calibrated alcohol scientific calibration thermometers - got a brand or link?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 01:03:27 pm »
where would you buy one of these calibrated alcohol scientific calibration thermometers - got a brand or link?

I got mine from William's Brewing many years ago.  I don't think they carry them any more.  Maybe try a scientific supply place.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 02:52:49 pm »
Denny:

How often do you recalibrate and how far off are your other thermometers, typically?

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 03:31:21 pm »
yeah my only concern is that one on the link is +-2F....i found some with .5 after i had an idea what i was looking for.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline beermo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 03:34:32 pm »
Wow. After reading all those posts I definitely have thermometer envy. I have a cheap $19 from my local HBSS where I got my kit... but ya'll have me thinking I should maybe replace it.

I don't have the funds to get one of those crazy awesome ones... but perhaps the $30 Lollipop would be worth the investment.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 03:46:57 pm »
I don't have the funds to get one of those crazy awesome ones... but perhaps the $30 Lollipop would be worth the investment.

I hear ya about the funds....That's why I got mine off Amazon with FREE SHIPPING!
Frank