Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee & Cream Milk Stout  (Read 3392 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Coffee & Cream Milk Stout
« on: February 10, 2013, 09:11:40 am »
In the last couple of weeks I have tried a few commercial examples of the Milk Stout style.  Which has led me to want to brew one with some coffee added to it.  I looked for a recipe, but did not find one.  Can someone here post one that they recommend?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Coffee & Cream Milk Stout
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 10:48:57 am »
I just bottles one. It is the milk stout recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I added 8oz of coffee beans that had been cold steeped in water at bottling. I don't have the recipe with me, but it is standard. I always go light on flavor/aroma hops when I want another flavor to be noticed.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 04:26:11 pm »
I just bottles one. It is the milk stout recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I added 8oz of coffee beans that had been cold steeped in water at bottling. I don't have the recipe with me, but it is standard. I always go light on flavor/aroma hops when I want another flavor to be noticed.

Thanks for the response.  I don't have that book...  I am in no rush, would you mind posting the recipe when you get a chance?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:22:14 am »
I will do that (don't have it here either).
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 02:32:46 pm »
I have Clone Brews by Tess and Mark Szamatulski, and it has a recipe for Left Hand Brewing Milk Stout. One thing that I have noticed with some of the recipes in this book is that they tend to undershoot the ABV a bit. This recipe is to reach an ABV of 5.3%, but Left Hand Milk Stout is 6%. So, if you decide to use this, I would up the base grains a bit.

OG = 1.063-1.064
IBU = 25
Mash at 151 degrees.
8.2 lb American two row
14 oz 60L American Crystal
8 oz German Dark Munich
7 oz Roasted Barley
6 oz British Chocolate Malt
4 oz Flaked Oats
4 oz Flaked Barley
4 oz Rice Hulls
(I personally cold steep dark grains and would use 2-3 times as much)

60 minute 1 lb Lactose
60 minute 1/2 oz Magnum
15 minute 1/4 oz American Goldings

WYeast 1028 London Ale Yeast

Like said above, I would cold steep the coffee beans and add at bottling or into the secondary fermenter.

Frank