Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Slurry Method  (Read 4373 times)

Offline jwhancher

• 1st Kit
Hop Slurry Method
« on: February 22, 2013, 10:27:40 am »
I've been reading "For the Love of Hops" and was intrigued by the section on the "Hop Slurry Method" in the Dry Hopping chapter.  After doing a quick Google search I found a post on this subject here: [http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/recirculating-dry-hops-more-aroma-oil-extraction-less-time-390156/]

Has anyone tried this at the homebrew scale?  Couldn't a homebrewer mimic this method by simply agitating their carboy with dry hops every few hours/days?

I was also wondering if anyone has any pics from Stone or New Belgium as I'm trying to visualize what this process/method looks like.  Stan H. mentioned these two breweries employ the hop slurry method.

Any info or thoughts on this is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hop Slurry Method
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:14:55 am »
Because I don't weight the bags I use for whole hops when I dry hop, I always gently agitate the fermenter a couple times a day.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:46:13 am »
Because I don't weight the bags I use for whole hops when I dry hop, I always gently agitate the fermenter a couple times a day.

so like do you comment on it's hair do? maybe smirk when it puts too much sugar in it's coffee?  ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:02:44 pm »

so like do you comment on it's hair do? maybe smirk when it puts too much sugar in it's coffee?  ;D

;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:52:27 pm »
This was discussed in another thread on this board.  There was more oil (good) and more tannins (bad) extracted by recirculation.  The same results could probably be achieved with more dry hops.  It isn't clear that this research is particularly practical for homebrewers.  I doubt that agitating a carboy a few times a day would mimic a continuous flow of beer through a bed of hops.