Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Open air fermentation  (Read 10995 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Open air fermentation
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 09:15:55 am »
If you're not going for wild yeast fermentation, what is the advantage for open fermentation besides maybe top-cropping yeast?

Supposedly it effects the flavor of the beer.  I've tried it a couple times, but didn't really notice any difference, but YMMV.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Re: Open air fermentation
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 10:50:15 am »
I do not notice a flavor difference between my carboys (5 gal batch in 7 gallon carboys), my open fermenters, and closed keg fermenters (10-12 gal batch).  I especially like the open fermenter for ease of clean up, don't have to use two separate carboys for the large batches, and especially like for those very active english yeasts that spill over the sides and into the bin I place them in (like top cropping).  I do place a loose lid over the top to keep dust out.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 11:12:50 am »
and also gave me one

Ale Force! Now that is some friend!  I wish I had friends like that!

I have a keg with the top cut off but never converted to a keggle that I use as an open fermenter (two, actually).  It is my favorite one.  I only go closed for long fermentations.  I wish I had a 1 1/2" tri clamp ferrell installed on the side.  There are decent looking filters that can attach.  I have been looking at this for a while for the solution:

http://www.brewershardware.com/FILTER1.html

I've bought that from brewers hardware a year ago and can say its worth the price. We use it hooked up to our boil kettle while transferring to the primary.
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:05 am »
Thanks for the info on the filter.  I liked the idea of it because it also has optional 0.2 and 0.3mm stanless steel filter screens that can get even smaller particles.... for whichever application you need (wort transfer) or beer transfer, short of actually filtering your beer.

It is in my wish list.

g
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 12:09:49 pm »
If you're not going for wild yeast fermentation, what is the advantage for open fermentation besides maybe top-cropping yeast?

Supposedly it effects the flavor of the beer.  I've tried it a couple times, but didn't really notice any difference, but YMMV.

I think it may have a more noticeable affect when fermenting on a commercial level.  Purportedly Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss is dramatically different open fermented versus in a conical.  I don't know how much different it would be at our size fermentations since we really don't build up *that* much pressure.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 12:51:26 pm »
Thanks for the info on the filter.  I liked the idea of it because it also has optional 0.2 and 0.3mm stanless steel filter screens that can get even smaller particles.... for whichever application you need (wort transfer) or beer transfer, short of actually filtering your beer.

It is in my wish list.

g
You can see it in action and also the size of the filter here: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/pimp-my-system/show?title=pimp-my-system-ale-force-1
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 03:01:33 pm »

I think it may have a more noticeable affect when fermenting on a commercial level.  Purportedly Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss is dramatically different open fermented versus in a conical.  I don't know how much different it would be at our size fermentations since we really don't build up *that* much pressure.

Speaking of Kellerweiss....

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 04:08:44 pm »
Brewing TV episodes 4 & 6 had some fairly good info on open fermentation. That spurred me to try it.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 08:59:55 pm »
I seem to remember Jamil talking about "corners" in fermenters- saying that they create dead-spots where the fermenting beer doesn't circulate well.

Regardless, I think a brewer could do well with that type of fermenter. Awesome. And it looks set up for some special connects as well.

I practice open fermentation in that the lid of the bucket is never snapped down unless to move it and there are no air-locks in my brewery. Beer is fine.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 10:40:35 am »
Corners are also the antichrist in sanitary equipment. You just need to be careful that you've got soft, rounded internal edges rather than a 90 degree point. I think the Rubbermaid has that all around.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/