Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Manufacturer Attenuation Figures  (Read 3332 times)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Manufacturer Attenuation Figures
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:46:55 am »
Do yeast manufacturers post actual attenuation or apparent attenuation figures for yeast strains on their websites?  Neither the Wyeast FAQ's page nor quick searches on Google and the AHA forum gave me the answer.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Manufacturer Attenuation Figures
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:05:51 am »
Click on any strain and you will find the attenuation.
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain.cfm

You can just scroll for White labs.
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html#ALE_YEAST
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 10:10:13 am »
Do yeast manufacturers post actual attenuation or apparent attenuation figures for yeast strains on their websites?  Neither the Wyeast FAQ's page nor quick searches on Google and the AHA forum gave me the answer.

Well, actually kinda neither.  The figures that manufacturers publish are simply a way of comparing on strain to another using a standardized wort.  They may or may not be an indication of the attenuation you can expect.  That's dependent on things like recipe and techniques.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:16:59 am »
I should've been more clear.  I was referring to whether these figures were actual or apparent.  So it looks like neither.  Are the manufacturer provided attenuations even useful for comparison with my apparent attenuation?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:19:13 am »
It's apparent attenuation but as Denny said it's only really useful for comparing one strain to another on paper.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 11:38:26 am »
I should've been more clear.  I was referring to whether these figures were actual or apparent.  So it looks like neither.  Are the manufacturer provided attenuations even useful for comparison with my apparent attenuation?

Not IMO.  OK, maybe a bit....personally, though. I don't even look at or consider the manufacturer figures.  I can get 60% or 90% attenuation out of the same yeast depending on the wort.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 12:14:59 pm »
I see I should have had more coffee.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline woodlandbrew

• 1st Kit
    • Woodland Brew
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:32:31 am »
Agreed with the other posters here.  The number is apparent attenuation, but it's more if a relative measurement.  You could likely get close to that if you mash at 150°F, pitch 10 million cells per ml into a 10°P wort and ferment at 20°C, but chances are that's not the beer you are going for. 

Recently I did a matrix of 40 fermentations with wort gravities from 3°P to 15°P and inoculations rates from 30 million per ml to 120 million per ml and was quite surprised by the variation in attenuation.

Data will be on my blog soon.
Brewing Engineering is avalible at Amazon

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:44:23 am »
Agreed with the other posters here.  The number is apparent attenuation, but it's more if a relative measurement.  You could likely get close to that if you mash at 150°F, pitch 10 million cells per ml into a 10°P wort and ferment at 20°C, but chances are that's not the beer you are going for. 

Recently I did a matrix of 40 fermentations with wort gravities from 3°P to 15°P and inoculations rates from 30 million per ml to 120 million per ml and was quite surprised by the variation in attenuation.

Data will be on my blog soon.

Looking forward to seeing it.

www.dennybrew.com