Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Czech malt  (Read 4570 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Czech malt
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:02:17 pm »
I have an opportunity to buy Czech pils and Munich from Prostejov Malting.  Anybody ever heard of them or used their malt?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Czech malt
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:18:19 pm »
Denny, malt from Prostejov Malting is sold thru MCMS. They started to offer it in the fall for the first time. I have never tried it but they have been in business for some time. It is in Moravia region of Czech Republic.

You buy it and let me know. :)
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:27:53 pm »
Denny, malt from Prostejov Malting is sold thru MCMS. They started to offer it in the fall for the first time. I have never tried it but they have been in business for some time. It is in Moravia region of Czech Republic.

I just may do that, Leos!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:41:39 pm »

I just may do that, Leos!

Let us all know!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:12:37 am »
I think I'll order a bag of the pils to check out.  It's a club bulk order so it'll take a couple months to get it and by that time it'll be too warm for me to brew lagers here.  I'll stash it til next winter, so it'll be a while before I know.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:04:58 pm »
I have an opportunity to buy Czech pils and Munich from Prostejov Malting.  Anybody ever heard of them or used their malt?

I just ordered a bag of Pilsen from them in a group buy from Country Malt.  Just happened to see it at the bottom of the grain list and thought "what the heck!" even though it was a little pricey.  I should have it in a couple of weeks and have a BoPils split planned for it right away with 2001 and 2278.  I'll report back.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 07:04:14 am »
UPDATE:  Apparently this only ships from the Illinois warehouse.  I went to pick up my grain at the group buy and they didn't even let us know it was not available.  I was just SOL........ >:(   Kinda bummed. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:25:17 am »
Same story here...our club was doing a bulk order and I was informed yesterday that neither the Czech pils or my standard best pils were available.  At least I was able to get Best Heidelberg as a sub.  It sounds like it's like the pils but a bit lighter colored.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:27:45 am »
Same story here...our club was doing a bulk order and I was informed yesterday that neither the Czech pils or my standard best pils were available.  At least I was able to get Best Heidelberg as a sub.  It sounds like it's like the pils but a bit lighter colored.

I'm glad you were able to at least get a sub.  They never notified me so I'm out a sack of Pils.....
Dave Zach

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 08:25:52 am »

I'm glad you were able to at least get a sub.  They never notified me so I'm out a sack of Pils.....
I am always unhappy when malt supplier do not have what they post in their catalog.
This happens more often then it should.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline atodd

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 07:53:10 am »
Sorry to bring back an old thread but how were peoples experiences with this malt?  I am thinking of picking up a sack of the pilsner.  I haven't been able to find much information on it. 

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 07:56:51 am »
Sorry to bring back an old thread but how were peoples experiences with this malt?  I am thinking of picking up a sack of the pilsner.  I haven't been able to find much information on it.

It's great.  I've ordered several sacks from my alternative LHBS that only puts a 30% markup on it.  The larger one by me puts closer to 100% so I will not buy grain from them anymore.

Dave
Dave Zach