Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two Tap Kegging setup Question  (Read 3164 times)

Offline showgun410

• 1st Kit
Two Tap Kegging setup Question
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:53:41 am »
I just got a Kegerator with a double tap and I plan to use 2 5 Gallon kegs.  Is it best to use one C02 bottle with a double regulator set up or two seperate C02 bottles and two regulators?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Two Tap Kegging setup Question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:28:58 am »
You only need one tank to carbonate and serve your beer. You'll want an adjustable regulator with at least two dials- one that shows the serving psi and the other the total amount of psi in the tank (which tells you how much gas is actually in the tank).
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:30:21 am »
The cheapest and easiest setup would be one CO2 bottle feeding a single output regulator, feeding a dual output manifold.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:54:51 am »
The cheapest and easiest setup would be one CO2 bottle feeding a single output regulator, feeding a dual output manifold.
This is what I have for four taps.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dudesbrews

• Cellarman
  • Central Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 08:57:19 am »
I agree...this is the best way to go as long as you don't mind using the same psi for all your kegs
“Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer”   Henry Lawson

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 11:23:48 am »
I agree...this is the best way to go as long as you don't mind using the same psi for all your kegs
I think this is an important point - if you want all of your beers to have the same CO2 level, then one secondary regulator for all of your kegs is no big deal.  If you want to have different CO2 levels for different beers, you need a secondary regulator for each different psi setting.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 04:30:14 pm »
I think this is an important point - if you want all of your beers to have the same CO2 level, then one secondary regulator for all of your kegs is no big deal.  If you want to have different CO2 levels for different beers, you need a secondary regulator for each different psi setting.
And probably a longer line for the tap you want to serve a higher PSI beer out of, right? Otherwise, you'd get pretty foamy pours on that tap, I'm thinking.
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 10:16:57 pm »
And probably a longer line for the tap you want to serve a higher PSI beer out of, right? Otherwise, you'd get pretty foamy pours on that tap, I'm thinking.
Yes, exactly, you need to balance each line in the system.  If they are all on the same psi, same shanks, same taps, same line, same length.  If you change the psi or one of the other variables then you need to recalculate.  Higher psi means longer lines, all other things being equal.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Fort Hoister

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:29 am »
Has anyone used taprite 741 regulators, I have two and want to forge them into 1 dual regulator. One line to carbonate at a different psi and one split to push 2 taps (I fit 3 corneys in the keezer and have two taps).

Offline showgun410

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 12:33:42 pm »
Also whith kegging?  Should i turn off the C02 tank if the beer on tap is not going to be used for a week or so or should you keep the C02 tank open?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 02:22:49 pm »
I keep my tank open. It's not a problem as long as your CO2 system doesn't leak (and if it does, you should just fix the leak).
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958