Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: adding scotch to a Scotch Ale  (Read 2923 times)

Offline justinrice1127

• 1st Kit
adding scotch to a Scotch Ale
« on: February 21, 2013, 09:15:06 pm »
I brewed an Old Chub (Oskar Blues) Scotch Ale extract clone and am wondering about adding some actual scotch to the 2ndary?  I have a bottle of Glenlivet single malt aged 12 yrs.  I have added bourbon to a Porter before by soaking 2 oz of oak chips in the bourbon and also by adding 2 oz of actual bourbon to to the 2ndary.  I just don't know much about scotch.  Would you even recommend adding scotch to a Scotch Ale?  If so, how.......soaking in oak chips/spiral/cubes, or adding some directly to the 2ndary....or how much?  I brewed this beer on 2/11 and am still getting some airlock activity.  Is this common for a beer that has been in the primary for 10+ days?  How long should I let it sit in the primary....after the airlock stops....before racking it into the 2ndary? 

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
Re: adding scotch to a Scotch Ale
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »
Before you go and do something crazy, like adding Scotch to your beer  ;D, try dosing a pint and see if you like the combination.  If you measure it out you can get a better idea of just how much you should add to the batch. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: adding scotch to a Scotch Ale
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:55:33 pm »
You can also add my tears for added flavor.  :'(

The scotch character is a combination of smoothness and delicate flavors (ok minus the heavily peated scotches). Bourbon is commonly used because it's sweet and carries a lot of barrel character over. Adding a small amount of scotch to beer is going to lose a lot of those delicate flavors you are paying for, especially in a single malt. I guess you could use a cheaper blended scotch (or even blended grain scotch) or canadian whiskey to get that sort of generic whiskey flavor. I dunno, I have used canadian whiskey in beers (in small doses and mostly along with wood) and I don't think it adds a lot of anything I feel really benefits the beer. I know there are some canadian whiskey and scotch barrel-aged beers out there though, so there is disagreement.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing