Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 10-gal Batch with 2 different OG's  (Read 6110 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: 10-gal Batch with 2 different OG's
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 06:56:10 am »
Is it possible that the higher gravity portion would sink to the bottom? That's where his came from and mine came from the top.  You wouldn't think so though after a 90-minute boil.
It is surprisingly difficult to mix the two runnings evenly prior to the boil.  That's why I take my "pre-boil" gravity reading right after the wort starts boiling.  It is quite possible that your wort wasn't completely mixed when you split it in two.
Yes, but after boiling for an hour it is completely mixed.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 05:43:00 pm »
Yes, but after boiling for an hour it is completely mixed.
Absolutely.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 07:21:15 am »

I'll try this. We were not together when we took the readings. Perhaps one of us had too many Hop Slams? I have photo documentation though.

In my defense, I only had one HopSlam!  I was really puzzled by this one too.  Trey, the next time we get together we need to check our hydrometers in some distilled water and see what's going on.  I guess the most logical explanation is that yours is not reading correctly, since I checked it with two different styles/brands of hydrometers.  But, I guess there is a chance that both of mine are faulty though.  Can't totally rule that out.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"