Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cucumber Saison  (Read 10557 times)

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
Cucumber Saison
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:43:00 pm »
So I made a cucumber saison and incorporated my cucumber slurry / tea during cool down before pitching yeast my yeast.  It has been 4 days and the gravity has dropped from an OG of 1.070 down to 1.015.  I believe I may have used too many cucumbers as I have an overpowering cucumber aroma and a very strong cucumber flavor.  Much more than the subtle cucumber aspect I was hoping to achieve.  I figure I can dry hop the hell out it to reduce the cucumber aroma, but at this point is there anything I can do to reduce the flavor?

Here is the recipe:
11 lbs Belgian Pilsner Malt
2 lbs White Wheat
1 lbs Vienna Malt
1 oz tettanger hops 45 min
1 oz Styrian Goldings 30 min
1 oz Styrian Golding 5 minutes

incorporated approximately 2/3 of a gallon of cucumber tea made from 10 cucumbers during cool down.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated
Primary: Belgian Wheat IPA, Vlad the IPAler
Secondary:  Iced Oatmeal Dunkelweizen
Kegged:  Baron Von IPWEIZEN, Dunkelweizen
Bottled: De Perverse Monnik Tripel
Next Up: Bog Nog Black IPA, Wake N Bake Clone, Breadbasket Wheat

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: Cucumber Saison
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »
I would think that you might try brewing the base recipe saison you have, and then blend your cucumber saison with that. You could also blend it to the degree of cucumberness you want by making samples first, and then scaling up for the whole batch.
Kyle M.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:26:35 am »
This idea sounds awesome, so don't give up!

You might take a look at lowering your mash temp and possibly adding some fermentables (sugar, honey, etc.) to dry the beer out. The base recipe (saison) should be quite a bit drier than 1.015 (I like mine below 1.008).

The Brewing Network interviewed Cigar City Brewing from Florida, and they talked about how they did their Cucumber Saison. You might check that out for some inspiration.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:52:30 am »
I wonder how persistent the cucumber will be? It may be that after aging for a few months it's hardly noticable. And if it continues to dry out (I assume it will since it's only 4 days old) the fewer sugars will probably help hide the flavor. I'd first wait till it's really done fermenting and re-evaluate. Then keep some unadultered so you can see what it would have been like.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:00:35 am »
This idea sounds awesome, so don't give up!

You might take a look at lowering your mash temp and possibly adding some fermentables (sugar, honey, etc.) to dry the beer out. The base recipe (saison) should be quite a bit drier than 1.015 (I like mine below 1.008).

The Brewing Network interviewed Cigar City Brewing from Florida, and they talked about how they did their Cucumber Saison. You might check that out for some inspiration.

It is still dropping in gravity.  It went from 1.032 saturday afternoon to 1.015 on MOnday and on Tuesday morning it is at 1.011.  Not quite as dry as I like it, but getting there.

I watched the Beer Geeks tasting of Cigar City's Cucumber Saison and he made it sound like it was heavy cucumber on the nose and heavy cucumber on the tongue, but also very citrussy. 

It will remain in primary for another week or so,  but can anything be added at this point to give a little more citrus to the taste?  Will lemon juice or lime juice add a little something or just mess everything up? 

I am going to dry hop with a citrussy variety to give a little more on the nose.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:27:21 am »
Saison yeast and citrusy hops are a love it/hate it combo. I think if you like Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace, go for it!

What comes to mind: Sorachi, Cascade, Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin, or a combo.

Citrus juice can get overpowering very quickly. I'd squeeze a few drops into a sample (or pint, if you're kegging) when the beer is done and go from there.

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:54:58 am »
Saison yeast and citrusy hops are a love it/hate it combo. I think if you like Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace, go for it!

I like Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace Saison and from the Beer Geeks video on Cigar City's Cucumber Saison he indicated they used Sorachi Ace and Citra hops. 

I have Citra and Amarillo on hand along with several others that have a very citrussy aroma.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 07:57:15 am »

I like Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace Saison and from the Beer Geeks video on Cigar City's Cucumber Saison he indicated they used Sorachi Ace and Citra hops. 

I have Citra and Amarillo on hand along with several others that have a very citrussy aroma.

Dry hopping with Citra is almost always a good idea.  :)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 10:53:30 am »
Dry hopping with Citra is almost always a good idea.  :)

I think Citra is overwhelming in more delicate style beers.

That being said - I probably wont ever leave it out of any beer in the American Ale or IPA category (except maybe EIPA).