Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing with bread in the mash  (Read 2826 times)

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Brewing with bread in the mash
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:47:41 pm »
I am looking to recreate an old English style by using bread in my mash (Rye bread). I am looking for a rye flavor by doing something from days gone by. Has anyone else used bread in their mash? I am looking more for flavor more than anything. If you have used any type of bread, have you had issues with it? I also intend to use a lot of hops.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewing with bread in the mash
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:47:29 pm »
Looking forward to hearing about this one....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:23:44 pm »
Is it the rye flavor you're after, or the spicy flavor of the caraway seeds that are often used in rye bread?  It doesn't seem like the bread (without seeds) in the mash would add much character - especially flavor - to the beer.  You can get "bread-like" flavors by balancing your malt bill.   If it's the caraway flavor notes that you're seeking, I think you could just crack or crush some seeds and add them to your kettle as a late or knock-out addition.  I don't know how much seeds to add, but I'd maybe start with 1/2 teaspoon crushed.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:54 pm »
You might want to so some searching on brewing kvass.  Michael Tonsmeire did an article in BYO back in the December 2010 issue on making it. There's a Basic Brewing interview with him regarding that article:  http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2010

A quick search turned up a number of sites with recipes for it, but they look to be more of the dump bread yeast in soda bottles kind of thing, not necessarily homebrewer-focussed articles.