Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuck Post  (Read 3683 times)

Offline LittleBoy

• 1st Kit
Stuck Post
« on: March 31, 2013, 05:33:32 pm »
Sorry of this has been answered before...
But, I frequently get the female adapters (both grey gas and black beer) stuck on the posts.  I can usually get them off but only with a whole lot of force.   I had always thought the "in" and "out" were only to keep the dip tube straight from the gas inlet.  But, my LHBS owner let me know that the posts are different too.  Problem is he wasn't exactly sure how to tell.

Can someone help?  Sorry if the terminology is confusing.

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
Re: Stuck Post
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:05:38 pm »
from my experience the one with the line/etch/engraving in the bolt is the in line

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:50:59 pm »
The gas posts have horizontal cuts in the points where the wrench goes on.  Here's a pic, the gas post is on the right, liquid is on the left.

Tom Schmidlin

Offline galapagos jim

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:11:49 pm »
I've been having this problem lately too, but only the gas post on one of my kegs. Started happening a few months ago, the keg was fine until then. It was a frustrating mystery until last night when I noticed that the O-ring on that particular post was sticking out farther than the others. I don't know if it's the wrong size, but as noted it worked fine for a long time. That particular ring is blue, FWIW.

So, maybe replace the O-rings on your posts? That's my plan.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:00:24 am »
The gas posts have horizontal cuts in the points where the wrench goes on.  Here's a pic, the gas post is on the right, liquid is on the left.

That is not true on all of them Tom. Some are identical except for the shape of the profile of the connector post themselves. Put the two side by side when you clean them and you'll see the difference. Keeping those O-rings lubricated with some keg lube makes a huge difference on how your connectors pop on and off too.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 01:39:26 am »
That is not true on all of them Tom. Some are identical except for the shape of the profile of the connector post themselves. Put the two side by side when you clean them and you'll see the difference. Keeping those O-rings lubricated with some keg lube makes a huge difference on how your connectors pop on and off too.
I'll take your word for it, but I've never seen a gas post without the cuts.  And that is saying something, I used to buy them by the hundreds, pressure test them, and sell them off.  Any idea who the manufacturer is on the ones without the cuts?

Totally agree on the keg lube, plus making sure the o-rings are in good shape.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:43:23 am »
The o-rings have always been my issue when the QD sticks.  I bought a bag of 100 so replacing them is no big deal.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 11:04:44 am »
I'll take your word for it, but I've never seen a gas post without the cuts.  And that is saying something, I used to buy them by the hundreds, pressure test them, and sell them off.  Any idea who the manufacturer is on the ones without the cuts?

Totally agree on the keg lube, plus making sure the o-rings are in good shape.

Sorry, No idea. Kegs were fished out of piles of scrap metal back in the '80's when you could buy 'em by the pound.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:09:55 pm »
Sorry, No idea. Kegs were fished out of piles of scrap metal back in the '80's when you could buy 'em by the pound.
I miss those days ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 07:09:05 am »
I also use different color O-rings for each side.  Black for beer, green for gas.
Brew on

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 08:53:46 am »
Every time I see the title of this thread I think somebody is having trouble replying.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 11:55:02 am »
Every time I see the title of this thread I think somebody is having trouble replying.
Har har.
Jesse