Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brand new keg from beveragefactory.com  (Read 5614 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Brand new keg from beveragefactory.com
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 02:43:15 pm »
Back "in the day" I used to pick up used corny's for $11 a pop. You can imagine I have quite a few. But that one is certainly very shiny.

Offline jklinck

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 04:23:08 am »
I'm going to try and ferment in a corny this weekend, see what happens. If it clogs, then I'll siphon it out and think about how to fix it. Many seem to swear by doing this. The Joe Klinck video doesn't say anything about messing with the dip tube.  Perhaps taking care to keep hops out of the fermentor would be a good idea. Otherwise, why wouldn't yeast push out?

I was loaded when I made that video, so I left a few things out. Some really clumpy yeast strains like WLP 007 will be more difficult to get the beer out but if you turn the pressure up a little it will clear. Otherwise most yeast strains you won't have an issue with. You need to keep hops out of the keg when fermenting otherwise they will clog it up and nothing will get out. I use a hop bag (paint straining bag) in the boil kettle and use those small hop bags for dry hopping.
BJCP National Judge, D0872

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 06:59:50 am »
Haha, nice! "Ah hell, let's make a video!"  It's a rather informative video.  I ferment mostly with US-05 or the Weihenstephan yeast and did use a hop bag in the boil (with more hops to make up for loss of utilization).  Excited to see how this turns out. I brew 3 gallon batches anyway, so a keg is just about right for me. Now I just need more kegs as I only have 3...
Thanks for responding.
Jesse