Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Accurate thermometer  (Read 10347 times)

Offline beermo

• 1st Kit
Re: Accurate thermometer
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 04:07:38 pm »
I hear ya about the funds....That's why I got mine off Amazon with FREE SHIPPING!

Nice! It is on Amazon. Thanks for saving me the $15 Thomas' web-site wanted to charge me in shipping. Gotta wait til the next pay day... but that's more affordable than most of the things I've added to my "want" list - so it's going to the top :-P

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:18 pm »

On the website it states "user sends the thermometer back to the manufacturer for recalibration after manufacturer's recomended interval"
Do any of you with traceable thermometers send them back for recalibration?

I'm not terribly concerned with an all-glass mercury thermometer altering its response.  If I'm not mistaken, when it has altered its response, I'm likely to be calling on a haz-mat team to clean up the broken glass and spilled mercury.  However, you are correct that I should have it checked if something really critical was hanging in the balance.  OK OK, I know that mash temp is really critical, but maybe not that critical.   ;)
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 07:09:48 pm »

On the website it states "user sends the thermometer back to the manufacturer for recalibration after manufacturer's recomended interval"
Do any of you with traceable thermometers send them back for recalibration?

I'm not terribly concerned with an all-glass mercury thermometer altering its response.  If I'm not mistaken, when it has altered its response, I'm likely to be calling on a haz-mat team to clean up the broken glass and spilled mercury.  However, you are correct that I should have it checked if something really critical was hanging in the balance.  OK OK, I know that mash temp is really critical, but maybe not that critical.   ;)
That statement is for digital since glass thermometers can't be re-calibrated. They really don't loose calibration either - like you said.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 08:15:31 pm »
For me, it's the Palmer-Wahl TM-500 thermocouple thermometer, with an 18-inch SS probe from McMaster-Carr.  As Blatz has pointed out before, you'll need to get a SS probe rather than use the wire one that comes with the unit.

http://www.palmerwahl.com/product_home.php?cat=3&catl=43&line=12&itm=604

I've had mine for several years and it's accurate and quick.  It's still one of the best purchases I've ever made in improving my system and making brewing easier, and therefore even more fun!

I don't use any of the special features of the unit... I just use it to read temps.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:17:57 pm by brewsumore »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 08:46:29 pm »
It's not submersible but I use a thermapen and highly recommend it.  It's pricey but you can use it for cooking, BBQing, and brewing.  Wouldn't leave home without it!

Another vote for the Thermapen! Not only great for it's accuracy, but it's speed.

Great in the kitchen as well.  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:48:52 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price